Chapter 31

Warning: language, mild violence, etc.

***

"Why are you here, Nick? In the jail, I mean. You should be home with Kim. She could go into labor any damn second." I mentioned to the pilot that was helping me out of this hell hole.

"If I'm being honest... things haven't been the same without you here, Dep. The resistance has almost been completely wiped out and they called me in here to help 'round. Since you've joined the cult, the resistance is just... goin' downhill, Deputy." Nick confessed. "And about Kim. Yeah, she's doin' good. She could go into labor any second, but she'll radio me if she needs me though."

I nodded my head, gulping. "Radio me when she goes into labor. I want to be there." I smiled at Nick as I hugged him; surprisingly, he hugged me back.

"Will do, Dep." Nick pulled away, placing his hands on my shoulders. "Now, get outta here before you get caught."

"Okay."

Thirty Minutes Later—

The exit was so close. I was hiding behind the counter, leaning against it because of my muscle atrophy, where Ashley, the girl selling guns at the front door, was. She was sitting on a stool, cleaning an assault rifle. I've been crouched here for a good ten minutes and I was beginning to become really impatient...

Fuck this.

Instantly, I raised up taking my pocket knife that Nick gave me out and placed it on her neck, adding just enough pressure to not cut her. Then, I leaned back against the gun locker to keep from toppling over.

"Dep?" She asked as I immediately covered her mouth with my hand.

"Shhh. Just let me go. I'll leave you in peace, Ashley. Come on. You fucking know me..." I paused for a moment. "Can you do this real simple thing for me? I didn't want to give up on the resistance, but, damnit, it was something that I had to do. I had to leave to be with the guy I love." I whispered as the words flowed right out of my mouth, hanging in the air; this was the first time I admitted that I loved Jacob out loud. And the first time I realized that... I glanced at the pretty wooden ring Jacob made for me and it was still there, surprisingly. I'd forgotten it was even on my finger because it felt so natural and perfect and was as if it wasn't even there. That ring was meant to be there...

Ashley nodded her head rather ferociously.

"Can I take my hand off your mouth and my knife off your neck?" I asked the girl.

Her gorgeous, straight blonde hair was pulled back into a ponytail and went through the hole in her hat. When she shook her head, it hit me in the chin multiple times.

She nodded again fervently.

So, I slowly retracted my hand from her lips, then, I leisurely drew back my pocket knife.

"I get it. Go be with Jacob. I didn't see a thing, Deputy." She turned around and beamed at me, her brown eyes shining from the fluorescents, imitating the color of chocolate. Every time she smiled, her eyes would crinkle up and I was envious of it.

I nodded my head at her as a sign of respect, smiling softly at her. My hand was on the counter to keep my balance as I slowly walked out the door, not looking back. Stumbling a little, I made my way to the sidewalk outside of the jail, but my legs gave out as I fell on my knees. Looking up, I unexpectedly seen Jacob fucking Seed and his Chosen, ready to fight.

This chapter was kind of short, but I'm really busy. I have eighty problems I still need to do for Trig that's due tomorrow😅
Hope y'all are still enjoying the story🥰
Love you guys! Stay safe out there 🖤😷🖤
-kittycatlukey :)