Chapter 36

Warning: language, violence, etc.

***

Seventeen Years Later—

Thomas Rush and his Captain, Samuel Rice, had been up and down the west coast helping folks rebuild; we were all on a train headed right through Hope County. Kim sent Carmina and I to find them and persuade them to help us take our home back from the Highwaymen. Thomas and Samuel was our last hope. Our salvation... But all good things must come to an end...

I was laughing on the train with Thomas Rush, Garrett Barnes, Carmina Rye, Captain Samuel Rice, and a few others when suddenly, there was a loud boom. Instantly, our train crashed. In the process, my head collided against the wall of the train, causing the world to go dark...

Samuel and I woke up to the sound of heavy breathing. I ended up on his body, laying across him while a bunch of debris was in front of us. Gradually opening my eyes, I witnessed Garrett trying to get his lighter to work.

"Hmm... Shit." Once Garrett finally lit up the room with his little lighter, he turned towards Sam and I. "Captain! Captain? Deputy? You're both alive!" He exclaimed as the train shook. "Jesus, they're heading this way... Get up, Captain, Dep. C'mon, get up! It's the fucking Highwaymen!"

"Sam, we gotta get the fuck outta here." I asserted as I hurriedly got on my feet, attempting to push the heavy ass debris out of the way, but it wouldn't budge.

"They're gonna kill us. Get up, Captain. Get up!" Garrett shouted as he walked away from us, taking the only light source with him as the train made a loud sound once more.

"Give me a damn minute." Sam snapped at Barnes, slowly getting up on his hands and knees.

"Are you gonna fucking help us, Barnes?" I asked with a scoff.

In the blink of an eye, the train door opened, light creeping into the train, revealing Thomas Rush. "Jesus, Barnes. You keep screaming like that and you'll bring 'em all down on us." 

"Rush...? You're alive..." Barnes was surprised as Thomas rushed toward me and Sam.

"Help me." Rush ordered at Garrett.

"No, we have no time. We gotta go." Barnes stated as he began making his way to the open door.

"BARNES! We're not leaving the Captain or Dep behind." Thomas growled at Garrett. "They are coming, fast. We need to stick together. Understood?"

The both of them started helping me and Sam lift the debris.

"Cap, Dep. Your time to shine. We need to get armed, we need to get our people, and we need you to find a way out of here." Rush explained as he handed us both a knife.

"Hmpf... easier said than done." Garrett sarcastically remarked as he jumped out of the train.

"You're such a pussy." I muttered under my breath, rolling my eyes at the way Barnes was acting.

"This bitch is annoying." Sam whispered to me as I chuckled.

"One step at a time, Barnes." Thomas scolded Garrett as we all hopped out of the wrecked train. "You two lead, we'll follow." He patted Sam and I on the back, then pushed us forward.

"Oh, my God. I thought I was dead." Garrett said, walking behind us.

"We need to find the armory wagon, gear up, and save as many people as we can. This way, Barnes." Rush commented. "Stick with the Captain and Dep."

"We should cut our losses and run." Barnes sighed as he trekked onward, still following the three of us.

"We'll be fine. There's more to be saved." Thomas declared as we made it past the wreckage.