Prologue

Warning: language, violence, war, etc.

***

"What do you call a soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray?" Josh Sanders, my best friend, asked with a smirk on his face.

"What?" Eric Smith, my ex-boyfriend, asked.

"A seasoned veteran."

I chuckled at Josh's corny joke. "You sure do love the jokes that aren't funny."

"Well you laughed." Sanders replied, attempting to sound like me, but ended up sounding like he was constipated.

"Yeah at the corniness." I retorted while giggling. "And you sound like you're trying to push out a turd."

"Whatever. You love my jokes." Josh argued with a smirk on his face.

"Mmhmm. Whatever, private." I muttered and rolled my eyes in a playful manner.

"What do you call someone who just got run over by a tank?"

"Dead meat." Jacob Seed answered confidently.

"Nope." Josh grinned.

"Tell us." Miller ordered.

"Crunchy." Sanders laughed at his own joke.

"Wow, Sanders." I commented sarcastically.

"You like it?" Sanders questioned smugly.

"Hell no." I told him jokingly as I looked out of the window of the military helicopter.

"Come on, Johnson..." Josh playfully punched my shoulder.

I shook my head with a small smile on my face; he did help lighten up the mood and take our minds off of the thought that this could be one of our last moments alive together.

"What month do all troops hate?"

"MARCH!" Jacob, Miller, and I yelled at the same time.

"Shit... I thought that was the best one." Sanders frowned in disappointment because we already knew the joke he was about to tell.

"It's a good one, but we've all heard it before except for Smith over there." I joked around and pointed at Eric, taunting him. "He's the dumbass of the six of us." Jacob, Miller, Sanders, me, and even the pilot, who was usually silent, laughed.

"Shut up." Eric scoffed as he loaded his M4; all he did was have an attitude anymore.

"Chill dude. It's a joke, private, not a dick; don't take it so hard." I giggled as the helicopter quickly flew over the beautiful mountains of Iraq; the sun was getting ready to set, which made the sky an orange color with vast shades of pink. I turned to the other soldiers. "We need to get our gear ready. Make sure you're ready to go before we hit the ground." I went from jokester to serious in two seconds as I looked at my fellow soldiers.

"Yes, ma'am." Jacob saluted with a small smile on his face as I laughed. Jacob loved to joke with me and annoy the shit out of me, but he was serious with everyone else except for Miller sometimes. Seed's gotten a little more laid back around me. He's not really fond of anyone else. I'm not sure why though. Jacob's one tough nut to crack. "Just remember who's in charge, number two." He stated sternly and looked at me; I could tell the tone in his voice held authority and seriousness, yet his eyes had a playful glint in them. This is how Seed joked and he only joked with me and Miller; Jacob cracking jokes was a rare sight.

"Yes sir." I nodded with a slight grin.

"Listen up, soldiers." Seed demanded gruffly. "If you see one of us that needs help, help them. We go in, we go in strong. Got it? Don't fucking die. The weak will be sacrificed. We will cull the herd. We will do what needs to be done. We clear?"