Chapter 38

Warning: language, etc.

***

Flashback—

A knock sounded on my bedroom door, causing me to stop strumming my guitar.

"We need to leave now!" Faith yelled from behind the door. "Hurry!"

I sprinted towards the door, opening it, my guitar still in hand, "What do you mean?"

"Explain later." Faith bluntly stated as she softly grabbed my forearm, dragging me with her.

Dr. Perry Byers, Dr. Charles Lindsey, a few other doctors, and a couple cultists with guns were standing at the entrance of the bunker.

"What's going on?!" I asked, getting fed up; I needed to know what was happening.

"The radiation is spreading like wildfire. If we stay in here, we won't be able to leave. We need to go, right now." One of the doctors explained as he opened the bunker.

Billows of gray smoke could be seen rolling down the hills, resembling ocean waves, coming right towards us.

"Go, go, go!" I yelled, my guitar still in my hand and my signature revolver in the other; sprinting to escape the deadly radiation.

Once we barely escaped, we went southwest to see if we could find shelter. The flora and fauna of Hope County now was extraordinarily immaculate; flowers were everywhere, a beautiful, vivid pink color. Without the burden of humans, life truly returned to the world...

After hours of walking, we came upon John Seed's old ranch.

It was incredibly beautiful.

There was a sign that said 'PROSPERITY' and the ranch was closed off by a gate.

"Deputy?" A voice I haven't heard in years called from the top of the gate. "Open the gates!"

I looked up and seen Kim Rye.

"Kim!" I exclaimed happily as I ran through the gates; she met me in the grass as I hugged the shit out of her. "I thought you were dead."

"And I thought you were dead." She chuckled, pulling away, taking a good look at me. "You're getting old."

"Fuck you." I joked around. "I'm forty-two now. I don't have gray hair, yet."

"Damn, girl. I'm forty-five."

"Have you seen uh- Jacob?" I asked Kim, staring down at my ring, fiddling with it.

"...His bunker got overrun by Highwaymen right before the radiation struck it... I don't know, Deputy. I don't know... I'm really sorry... If I get any reports, I'll let you know."

I had to blink the tears away before they fell down my face, nodding my head.

"Come here." Kim stepped close, hugging me.

Immediately, I hugged her back. "So um... We can't go back to Faith's bunker. The radiation is so fucking bad and we have no place to stay. I don't know what we're going to do."

"You can stay with us. The more, the merrier." Kim offered poking my side, smiling.

"Really?"

"Of course, Dep."

"I really appreciate this, Kim." I flashed her a smile.

"You play guitar?" She asked, eyeing the guitar slung around my body.

I nodded my head, a cheeky grin on my face.

"Will you play for us?" Kim questioned, her eyebrow raising.

"I will one day. But... I wanna know... Where's Nick? And what about your baby?"

"I don't know where Nick is. The twins took him... I do have hope he's out there, still alive. And for my baby... CARMINA!"

A teenage girl walked out of John's old ranch, making her way toward Kim. Once she was beside her she queried, crossing her arms. "What mom?"

She wasn't even paying attention to me, not sparing me a glance.

"Carmina, this is the Deputy. We go way back... The Hope County hero I told you about." Kim explained as Carmina turned around to face me.

"I'm not a hero, Kim." I laughed. "So this is your daughter? She's all grown up. I'm sad I didn't get to be there to hold her when she was born. It seems like yesterday you were pregnant with her." I frowned.

"Deputy, it's such an honor to even be here in your presence. Welcome to Prosperity, our humble abode." She smiled, the crinkles by her eyes very prominent; I thought it was adorable.

"I'm no hero, I can promise you that." I gave them a small smile. "And I swear... I will find your dad, Carmina."

"Thank you." Carmina thanked me, shaking my hand and walking back in John's old house.

"She's a sweet girl." I beamed at my old friend. "I'm going to find Nick. I'm not gonna give up on him or Jacob."

"You can invite Faith and the others in and I'll give you guys a tour of your new home, Deputy. Then, you'll have to show me your guitar skills."

"Sounds like a plan."

End Of Flashback—

Hope y'all enjoyed this chapter!
Stay safe out there 😷
Love you guys🤍
-kittycatlukey :)