High Hopes

RUE'S POV

I stood outside his door and watched as he breathed slowly, fighting for his life. The doctor's words kept replaying in my head,

"He sustained a major injury in his skull. It's a wonder he's still breathing but unfortunately, we can say anything until he is out of his coma"

My legs lost all it's strength as I fell to the ground. Luckily, Blake was kept in the very secluded area of the hospital because of his public status so only special doctors and nurses attended to him. Apparently, paparazzi sometimes paid nurses to take photos of the celebrity, that's why they're now kept in this area where only few people have access to. I didn't have a worry about anyone seeing me.

I covered my face with my hands as the tears fell from my face. I felt footsteps rush towards my direction and I looked up to see Mike and Bri who immediately engulfed me in a hug, "Rue, I'm so sorry", she cried as she held me tighter. "It's all my fault, Bri. It's my fault", I cried. She let go of me and held my shoulders forcing me to look at her, "No, no it's not. You couldn't have known". I shook my head, "No, I did know! I knew that something bad was going to happen soon". Bri gave Mike a look telling him to excuse us even though I know that she's still going to tell him later. That's just how they are, completely trusting each other.

"Rue, listen to me. There was no way you could've known what that old lady was saying was even true. This could've been mere coincidence!", she said trying to make me feel better but I know the things I saw, how everything played out exactly how she said it. "I should've told him, Bri. Maybe he would've believed me and then he would've been more careful", I said as I played with my fingers. "You didn't tell him cause you didn't want to worry him before the game. You had a good motive!", Bri said and I snapped, "But now he's in coma, Bri! He's in coma and the doctor doesn't even know if he's going to come out of it. He said that he's surprised that Blake's still breathing. Blake's fighting for his life, Bri and I don't know what to do!". "Fight with him, Rue", she said holding my face, "Blake is fighting in there so I need you to fight with him. Don't give up yet".

Bri and Mike dropped me off at the house. I opened the door silently hoping to avoid everyone but instead, I met Flynn at the doorway and I stopped, "Are you here to get Celine?". He watched me for a while before sighing and coming over to hug me, "It'll be alright, kid". I nodded as I fought back tears.

He led me to the living room and my mum and Celine were there. I'm guessing Jess went home with Penny and Jace. After 5 minutes of reassuring my mum that I would be okay and reassuring Cel that Blake would wake up, they finally left, leaving me alone in the house. I sat on the couch and stared at no where in particular.

"Sooo", Blake smirked as he rested his forehead on mine. I chuckled, "Did you love the surprise?", expecting him to nod but instead he whispered, "I love you". "Oh wow! Really? Haven't heard that one before", I said trying to ease his tension before the game starts. "Shut up", he laughed before giving me a peck on my lips. I frowned, "That's all I get? After everything?". "I'm saving the rest for tonight", he smiled.

Today was supposed to go on fine! I was supposed to drive both of us home and I'd tell him all about Ibiza and we could talk it out and then go to bed together but now...

I quickly held his face, "Blake". "Yeah?", he asked looking at me amusedly. "Be safe out there", I said in a serious tone which made him raise his brows and laugh, "Are you afraid? Come on, this isn't my first game! I'll be fine". I hit his shoulder, "Whatever you say". They blew the whistle again so he started walking along with the rest of the guys to the changing room. He turned back and mouthed, "I love you". Smiling, I mouthed, "I love you too".

I screamed and threw a pillow at the TV opposite me, not caring if it would break or not and then I cried and cried till the next morning.

I had just done my hair in a messy bun when I heard the doorbell. Lazily, I walked over to the door. "Hey, thought I'd drive you over to the stadium to get your car", Skylar smiled warily. I slightly smiled, "Thanks. I almost forgot, let me go get ready"

Skylar drove in peaceful silent, holding my hand through the way and I was grateful because that was exactly what I needed. After he dropped me, I promised to drive safely, then he left. I made a quick stop before driving to the hospital. I got to the hospital and I spotted a few paparazzi around. I tried to avoid them but they obviously knew my car from following me around all the time so they raced towards me. They gathered around my car, throwing questions and waiting for me to come out. Eventually, security came and chased them out.

I entered the room with the package in my hand. He laid unconsciously on the bed. Looking from the outside, he looked very peaceful, almost like he was dead. I pushed the thought out of my mind and smiled as I sat beside him.

"Hey, it's me", I whispered very close to his ear hoping he could hear me, "I brought you a little something. I know you can't eat but it's our apology gift", I said as I placed the package beside the bed. I looked at him with teary eyes, holding his hand, I cried, "I'm sorry, Blake. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the old lady and her fate theories. I should've told you to be more careful. Hell I could've pushed you not to play anymore even though you wouldn't listen to me, I should've tried. I'm so sorry". Just then, I don't know if I was hallucinating or not but I felt him squeeze my hand a little bit. I looked up at his still neutral face but his hand was still tightly holding mine.

"It happens like that", the doctor's voice startled me. I turned to him as he approached me, "It shows that he has made it to a mentally conscious state meaning he can hear you, he knows what's happening around him". I smiled, "Does that mean he's going to wake up soon?". "I don't want to lift your hopes up, Miss Evans", my smile began to fade, "All I know is that he's fighting in there. He may drift back and forth his unconscious and conscious state from time to time but it doesn't mean he would...". He didn't finish his sentence before starting to look uncomfortable. I nodded and looked down, spotting the food package I bought, I picked it up and handed it to him, "I bought it for him but he can't exactly eat so you can have it as a thank you for watching him". He seemed reluctant but I pushed it further towards him so he took it, obviously not to seem rude.

After he left, I turned back to Blake and whispered, "I won't mind what the doctor said, don't worry. I know you'll pull through. I love you". At those words, he squeezed again before letting go meaning he had drifted back to his unconscious state. I sighed and leaned back on the seat, closing my eyes.

"Rue dear", a hand graced my shoulder and I opened my eyes to see Mrs Andrews smiling down at me and Mr Andrews, standing by the door. I stood up abruptly, "Oh I didn't know you were coming". "We came to tell you that we're leaving back to Australia today", Mr Andrews spoke, "Seeing Blake in this state is hazardous to Samantha's health so I figured if I took her back, then she'd be less worried". "Oh", was all I could say. "Would you call me if there's any major news?", Mrs Andrews looked at me with pleading eyes so I nodded, "Of course. Umm I'll excuse you so you can...", I said as I gestured towards Blake. I hugged Mrs Andrews and I wanted to tell her about Blake squeezing my hand but like the doctor said, I didn't want to get her hopes high so I took my stuff and excused myself.

I smiled as I walked out of the hospital. Now that I'm sure Blake is still in there, I'll be by his side through everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~