Chapter 40

And I dream.

I feel something grab my shirt. I'm slammed up against the wall. As I open my eyes, I see Newt with a gun to my head.

"Newt! What the-" I try to pull his grip off of my shirt, but he just pushes his fist deeper into my shoulder.

"I've had enough of your bloody klunk. It's about time we rid the world of your constant shuck about how awful things are for you! Don't you think I have a hard time doing all of this?"

"No. No, I'm sorry. Just calm down."

"Slim it, Kenzie. You aren't changing my mind about this." He cocks the gun, and presses it harder into my forehead.

"I-" I choke on my words as I hold back the tears, "I love you."

His face relaxes, but then returns to its angry state. "It's too late for that now..."

I don't know whether he's saying it's too late for me, or for him. Either way... I don't want to die.

He smirks, and pulls the trigger.

I feel chills run up my spine as I sit up in bed. It's not the Flare, it was just a dream. I look at the clock.
6:30

I step into the bathroom, and throw on some clothes. I do my hair and make up, and the clock turns seven.

I exit the room, and see Thomas on my way to the elevators. There are tears streaming down his face. "Thomas?"

He glances at me with a devistated look on his face. He has dark circles under his eyes. He looks back at the elevator as it opens, and we step inside. He must be crying over Brenda. That's right, I get to fight today.

"He killed her," he says through a quivering lip.

"Who?"

The elevator door almost closes, but a hand appears through the opening, and it reopens. Minho.

"I had to."

"I know."

I awkwardly stand in the corner as the two boys stand staring at each other. "Did you even sleep last night, dude?"

"Of course I didn't."

I purse my lips and stare at the floor. I regret ever letting Brenda's death for Lily's gain even cross my mind.

We wait in silence as we reach level one, and step off of the elevator.

"Good morning, McKenzie. Ready for today?" Joshua says, walking up to me.

I shrug. "Yeah, I guess."

"Great! You still lead Berg 2, go ahead and load on."

"Ok, thanks."

"Mhm."

I enter my Berg, and see Melissa's eyes light up when she sees me. "You're back!"

"Yeah," I chuckle, "Miss me?"

"Yes, actually," she pats the floor next to her, "I haven't had anyone to talk to."

I take a seat at the spot she motioned me to sit in. "How big are the armies?"

"Shoot. I don't know...one thousand, two thousand, maybe."

"Two thousand?" I lean my head against the wall.

"It's not so bad. They have no weapons and no fighting experience. Don't worry about it."

I look up at Joshua, who has just stepped inside the Berg, "Your bow."

"Oh, thanks," I say as I reach up and grab it.

"You may need to assist Thomas in leading."

"Good that."

He turns, and exits the Berg. The doors closes moments later, and we set flight.

I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. This is way better than 'observing'. Guess I won't be seeing-

I close my eyes at the thought of him. Newt. I never got the chance to apologize. I start to think about how that stupid fight even started. Oh yeah, I try to make everyone feel sorry for me...

I try not to get angry while thinking about it. Is that really what everyone thinks about me? That I complain too much, and think that no one else is going through as much klunk as I am? If anyone, Thomas is. I thought I lost the love of my life once; I can't imagine it actually being real.