Chapter 26

After an hour of sitting, I start to feel the pain again.

The medicine must be wearing off. I try to move my legs; and I can, they're just a bit numb. I feel the pain more distinctly, and I blanch at the sudden shock of discomfort. I bring my knees up to my chest to lay my head down, as if it will make it go away.

About ten minutes later, I see the soldiers step up the Berg. "What happened? Did anyone get hurt?" I ask the woman I set in charge.

By "anybody", she knows I mean Newt, "He's slightly injured," I try to stand, "Sit down he's fine. I said slightly injured, not dead. There were about the same amount of people this time, but more are coming with us. Two hundred and fifty, maybe?"

"By slightly injured you mean..."

"I think he hurt his ankle."

"Oh no..." I whispered it, but it was loud enough for her to hear.

"What?"

"Nothing. Get to your seat, soldier." She gives me a slight nod, and takes a seat on the floor in the group of soldiers.

The ride home is excruciating. I close my eyes the whole time, and try to think of anything but my lacerations.

We arrive home, and exit the Bergs. I make my way to Berg seven, which is Newt's, and wait for him to come out. I watch him limp down the ramp, "Newt!"

"Kenzie, are you alright?" He says as he walks down, and heads towards me.

"Yeah, you?"

"Ah, I just kicked a shuck Crank the wrong way. Got my face cut up a bit, but I'll be fine. Come on, let's get you to level twelve."

"Is that the emergency room?"

"Yeah. Hey! Everyone move unless you're going to level twelve with us."

We cut in front of the group to the elevator, and a few come with us. We reach level twelve, and medics rush to us. "What are your injuries?" One of the dark haired woman says, as she takes my hand, and leads me to a small room.

"Um...my shoulder. Right one. Someone hit me on the head with a rock, maybe? I got a few cuts and bruises, but they should be fine."

"Ok. Sit on this table as I find some assistance." She leaves the room, and I hop up on the table. My shoulder throbs, and I put pressure on it to relieve some pain. The lady walks in with two other medics in green suits with masks.

"Lay down on your back, please," his voice is muffled by the mask, but I hear it clear enough. I lie down, and the man reaches over, and grabs one of those silver things similar to the one on my back. "Alright, one quick shock of pain and you'll be good to go." I feel my face contort as I hear the click of the contraption pressing into my skin. "You have a remote already?" I pull the remote out of my pocket, and hand it to him. He hands it to the other medic; she takes out the back, and begins to mess with it. Then she puts the back of the remote back on, and hands it to me. "Now if you press a button on this device, it will inject you in both areas."

"Thanks," I say as I sit up. They nod, and leave the room.

"Thanks for visiting with us, follow me back to your friends," the lady that brought me in here says, as she begins to leave. I stand up and follow her out. Newt is standing out there with a man that is looking at his ankle, but they don't seem to serious about it. "Just wash your head injury tonight, and it should be cleared up in two days. Have a nice day." She smiles, and walks away.

"Alright, come on then. Dinners in our rooms again. Guess I won't be seeing you as long as I had hoped," Newt says, as he turns to the elevator to press the down button.

As we stand silently in the elevator, I pull out my remote, and press the yellow button. It hurts as it snaps the medicine into my system, but then I don't feel pain anymore. Newt watches me as I stick it back in my pocket, and smiles when I look up at him. The elevator door opens, and we head to our rooms. As I open my door, I hear Newt say, "Good night."

"Night," and I walk into my room. I shower, eat, and get ready for bed. I hope I don't have another nightmare tonight. And I don't. Maybe Joshua was right.