Chapter 15

We walk down the hallway to try to catch up with Joshua.

"Maybe he's in here," Newt says as he twists the knob to the computer room. There is more chattering and typing than when the blonde haired lady told them about the cure. Joshua must have already announced it. He raises his hands up and quiets everyone.

"I just submitted the results to all of your devices. Please observe them carefully, and inform me of your hypotheses. Thank you." He lowers his hands, and everyone gets back to work. He turns to look at me and Newt, "I think we are going to skip your 'rest of the day off'. Newt, you have been assigned to Lilian. And McKenzie, you will assist him, or any other supervisors in which you please. We will need to test you again tomorrow, so don't expect to be a helper very often."

"Ok."

"Newt, your room is..." He scans his clipboard, "Ah, Room 4. It will say observation on the door, too. Like Kenzie's." I'm guessing he calls me McKenzie when he's trying to be formal.

We turn, and leave the room. As we make our way to "Room 4" I ask, "Do you even know what you're doing?"

"Yeah. I watched him type on the computer. I basically observe your actions, and your brain's actions, and submit the results."

"Ok."

"I'll show you." He opens the door, and we see Lily sitting at the table. It looks just like mine. Newt walks over to the computer, and puts his mouth to a little mic, "Ok, can you tell me about your dreams? Whenever you're ready." I wish he were my supervisor. He's a lot nicer.

He looks so serious. And he is, his eyebrows are pushed in, and he's typing things on the computer. Then he looks up through the window.

And she speaks, "I'm...embarrassed."

"Why?"

She doesn't answer. I know how she feels.

"Is it something that happened? Or someone?"

"Someone."

"Ok, well, tell us what happened, without using their name."

"Ok."

"Begin."

"Well, I was in my house, the one I built at the place you guys found us, and...he knocked on the door. I opened it, of course, and he started...hitting me. I pushed him off, and tried to run. But he grabbed me, and pushed me up against the wall. He held me by my shoulder, and started stabbing me. I could feel it, but then again, I couldn't. And I kept waking up in my house. I could never tell whether I was awake or not. Just kept...waking, and waking, and waking."

"Why are you embarrassed, then?"

"Because...I love him."