Chapter 24

We climb off of the Bergs, and are greeted by Ava, "Congratulations, on your first day of collection. I see you have our new arrivals," she looks at the people stepping off of the Bergs, "We will begin with their training at your return when the collection is done. For now, head to your rooms and rest. You all have a big day tomorrow."

"What do you mean 'big day'?" Minho responds in a defensive tone.

"We weren't going to give you the hardest challenges first. There are bigger cities, you know. You will eat your dinner in your rooms. It is too late to be out and about." She smiles, and turns back to the elevators.

I can see why Minho doesn't fully trust WICKED, she sounds like we're still participating in one of their tests.

Joshua tells the new arrivals to follow him to their new rooms, and we disperse to our own.

It takes about nine trips up the elevator for all of us to get to our rooms, and I'm in the back of the group. Newt was in the middle, but he made his way back to stand next to me, "You all right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You had to shoot people."

"So did you. And besides, I used to stab you in training."

"This is different. Not all of them were Cranks, you know?"

I feel my face drop from sadness, to depression. I didn't even think about that. Some of those people actually had their minds. Actually had a life to live.

"Yeah," I feel myself choke on my response. It felt as if my throat was dried out, and I was pushing sandpaper up against it. I don't want to talk about it anymore, and I know he can tell.

"You wore your necklace," he smiles, and it's the biggest smile I've seen him wear.

I pull it out from under my shirt, "Yeah...I never thanked you for it." Just as he is about to respond, the elevator door opens, and there is room for us inside.

We step on, and I listen to the laughter of the others as it surrounds me. But it feels as if I am drifting from reality. From everyone in the elevator. I have to kill more people...and they are all after me.

I step into my room, and there is food on my nightstand. I eat it, then shower. It hurts to lift my arms to wash my hair. I didn't even notice that it hurt so bad today until now. I get ready for bed, and this time, I press the purple button, to help me sleep. I think of everything I love, and everything that gives me hope. Joshua told me that I didn't have to do it anymore...But just in case.

I dream. But not a good dream, not this time.

I watch the arrow fly as it hits my target: the man. His screams are louder, and he cries tears of blood. He's not dead yet. I approach him to finish the job. "My family. My kids," he says through a quivering lip, "They'll be fatherless. Please. Don't."