Chapter 3

I head back to the elevators.

 I don't really want to talk to anyone right now. I hurriedly press the up button, and step inside. I press level eight, and the doors half-way close when Newt steps inside. I can't tell whether he is upset or not. He just has this blank expression. My mind goes back to that dream I had. His lifeless body on the floor.

"Hi," he says. I can tell he doesn't exactly know what to say. I just stare at him, arms crossed, leaning back against the wall of the elevator.

The elevator stops at level eight, and I step off. "Why are you mad at me?" I hear Newt say behind me, following right on my heels.

"I'm not mad, I just need some time."

"How long?" He says, and I hear him stop walking. He must have reached his room. I look over my shoulder at him. And he continues, "Because I don't think I can last another second without you."

And I'm speechless. I turn around to face him. My hands drop to my sides. I just stare at him, and he stares back, that look that he gets when he's worried about me. The look he got when he told me he was going to volunteer for the Maze. The thought suddenly made me angry. I look at the floor, "I don't know," was all I could say. I turn back around, and walk to my room, and I know he's been watching me, because I didn't hear his door open. I don't bother to look back; I just open my door, and walk in.

I lay on my bed, mad at myself. I'm not mad at him; I have no reason to be. He just wanted to help find the cure for me.

I'm starting to remember more. He proposed to me when he was sixteen, and I was fifteen. Our parents had died, and he had already signed up for the Maze. He told me that when he got out, he would marry me. He knew he'd be in there for a long time. But I would have been alone. No family. No friends. Everyone was dead.

And I can't stand to be alone.

Especially after being alone for so long in the Maze. Harriet was the second to come up. Sonya was the third. That's when I realized that we would be getting someone new every month.

I miss them. And Lily. She was there for me too. I didn't really know her, but she knew me. I don't even know if she's dead, or alive. If she is, she left me too.

They probably didn't know I was alive. I can't live my whole life thinking that everyone left me.

I'm just scared I guess.

I want to talk to Newt. Why am I pushing him away? I leave my room, and walk down the hallway to his. I knock on the door, and it only takes a few seconds for him to open it. He looks down at me. Gosh, he's tall. We just stare at each other for a minute, but then I speak up, "I'm sorry. I'm just really stressed out."

"It's ok," he whispers. And I realize that he's been crying. He looks down at the floor to hide his face.

"They're gonna find the cure." I smile. He looks up at me, and smiles back.

"I love you".

Woah...that was weird... I don't say it back. I just turn and walk towards the elevator. I hear him shut the door this time. And I step into the elevator. Stupid.