Chapter 35

Dinner is a lot better today.

I talk to Lily and Sarah. Me and Gally make a few comments to each other, but things are still a little awkward from earlier.

Newt arrives late. "What'd I miss?"

"Nothing much," Lily blurts out, "Gally's eyebrows still look like Nike symbols."

Gally opens his mouth slightly, he doesn't look too surprised. Lily and Gally have been making fun of each other a lot lately.

Newt lets out a loud laugh, which makes all of the rest of us laugh, too. "The Gladers arrived early today. I already went down to greet them. But they'll be up in a minute."

We turn our heads and face the door for about a minute before the first few Gladers enter the cafeteria. Thomas is there, too. I stand up out of my chair, and swiftly walk towards him. I hear Newt say something behind me, but I can't make out what it was.

"Thomas, you need to help me," I say as I run one hand through my hair.

"What?" He replys as he grabs a tray.

"I can't do this everyday-" He snickers as he shakes his head. What's his problem? "What?"

"Joshua told me you'd do this."

I feel my face turn slightly red as I look at the wall. I hate Joshua sometimes. "Will you just-"

"No, Kenzie. Besides, you'll barely make it out alive, if at all, with all of those Cranks targeting you. You're not going back, period."

"Tho-" he gives me a harsh look, and I nod once as I turn back to my table. I plop down in the seat next to Newt, and rest my head on my hand. The disappointment is blatantly obvious on my face. I sit, staring over Gally's head.

"What's your issue?" Gally says, giving me a look.

I am acting like a child, but I can't help it. All of this sitting around while others are out risking their lives is pissing me off. I want to do something. I'm not having this job for the rest of my life. At least, I'd better not. I don't think I could handle it.

I draw my attention to Gally, who is still waiting for a response. "Nothing. I- I'm just tired," I stand up, and push my chair under the table. I throw my trash away as I head to the elevator.

Minho raises an eyebrow at me before I leave, and I give him a forced smile.

Surprisingly, Newt doesn't follow. And I'm kind of relieved. I just want to go to bed, so this day can be over.

I take a shower, and head off to bed.

I wake up the next morning, and get dressed. The door isn't unlocked. What time is it? I check the clock.
6:30
Waiting. It's all I do now. I sit on my bed as I wait for the door to unlock. Maybe I should just sneak on the Berg. I'm not going to, of course. But it's nice to think I can. 

The door finally unlocks, and I exit the room. I meet with Minho and Thomas at the elevator as we wait for it to come up. "Sorry you gotta stay locked up in this shuck building," Minho says. I know he's not being compassionate; he's trying to hide his smirk.

"Yeah, I'm sure you are..."

I see Thomas roll his eyes in my peripheral vision, "You're not going to die here. I'm sure it's not that bad."
Yeah, I guess not.

"It's not the worst thing that could happen to me, but I'd still rather be fighting with you guys." The elevator door opens, and we all step in. I continue, "Like, in the Glade. We got our jobs according to what we were best at. Newt is patient, and smart. He's fine here. I can't stand to wait around. Especially when I could be out defending WICKED."

"It still feels weird hearing you say that," Minho says, arms crossed and leaning against the wall.

Thomas doesn't respond. I feel a surge of hope spur inside me. Maybe he's taking it into consideration. The door opens, and I exit.

"See ya," Thomas says. And I spin around to smile at him before the door closes. Maybe he'll get me out of this shuck place.

I feel as if I'm going to have a good day. There's something about that glimmer of hope that the conversation gave me, that just made my day a whole lot easier.