Chapter 12

All of us climb off of the Berg, and are greeted by Joshua, "Good evening, I hope your travel was safe. I appreciate your cooperation, although I know it was hard. I do apologize for putting you all through the experiments, but it has only just begun. There will be pain, but not for all of you. I would like to ask for a show of hands, who has experienced some of these...nightmares...that I suppose McKenzie might have mentioned to you?" He glances around at the group. No one raises their hand at first. Joshua clears his throat. "I know of a few of you that were not immune at first." He raises his eyebrows. I wasn't the only one?

Lily raises her hand. Gally. And two other boys.

"That's more like it. Follow me, please." Lily looks at me, and I nod in approval. She follows, and so do the others. "That includes you, Kenzie."

All of us step into the elevator in silence. We walk down the hallways into the observation room where I usually train.

"You will all be trained in room similar to this one. You will tell us of your dreams," he glances at me, then back at the others, "and you will be tested. Understood?" They nod. "McKenzie, would you like to demonstrate?" I look at the others, who are now looking at me.

No. "Ok."

I walk into the white room, and sit at my table.

"Tell us about your dreams, McKenzie."

"I already have." I really don't want to talk about them. Especially in front of an audience.

"Tell them about your dreams."

It feels as if there is a lump in my throat. I take a deep breath, and begin, "Ok, in my dreams, well, not dreams, more like nightmares... I have no hope. I'm either beat to death, or stabbed. Held against my own will to the point of saying in my mind 'there is no hope'. And I give up. I let them kill me." I look at the glass window, hoping I don't have to go into further detail. But I do.

"And who stabs you?"

I don't reply. I just stare at my hands folded on the table.

"Should I repeat myself?"