Chapter 39

I start to get anxious in awaiting Thomas's arrival. What if he and Brenda do get back together? I don't really care, although I want him to be with Lily. I'm basically just waiting to see what happens. Will he have to kill her? Will one of the other Gladers kill her, and Thomas take out his loss on whoever does? My stomach starts to ache with either sadness, or worry. Maybe both.

I watch Margaret through the window as I try not to think about the future. Sterling lets out a heavy sigh, as he stands with his arms crossed. "You like it here?" I ask without looking at him.

"Eh...it's ok. I like my old home better, though."

"It's full of-"

"Cranks, I know. No, I mean...it wasn't always full of crazy people who wanted to eat your head off. Our city was one of the ones who didn't allow people with the disease in. Well, until last year. They took over. Climbed the walls. Killed soldiers. WICKED's soldiers, actually. They didn't care, though."

"So...you wanna go back?"

"No. Yes. I don't know. I want to go back to when everything was slightly normal."

"It will be. But I don't think you can go back there specifically. Not in this lifetime. It will take years before everything will be ok again. But maybe..." My voice trails off, and I don't even mean to. It's as if I didn't know I was talking the whole time.

"What?"

"Maybe once these tests are all over, and all of the Cranks die out, we'll be happy again."

He just stares at me. I turn my attention back to my computer. The next hour is silence. It drives me crazy.

She wakes up, and I'm not even ready for it. She sets her stance in fight mode. I pull up the image of Sterling, and drag it to the room. He stands in front of her, and stares blankly at the wall.
Set as...
Murderer

I send the personality trait to the fake Sterling, and watch as his face contorts to anger. You can do this.

She wavers, but catches her bravery back as he walks towards her. He brings his fist up, but she swiftly grabs it, and clenches his shoulder with the other hand as she pushes him against the wall. She removes her grip on his wrist and repeatedly punches him in the face until he falls to the floor. Then she kicks him in the face until I remove him from the room. She turns to face the window, staring at her hands.

"Wow..." I say before turning on the mic. "Good- good job. Let's be done for the day." She hesitates, then leaves the room. She doesn't even look at her son as he tries to speak to her.

I submit the results, and take a deep breath. I can't do this anymore...

I leave the room, and make my way to Newt's observation room. "Hey," I say as I walk in the door.

"Hey," he replies, and returns his focus to his computer. "Finished for the day?"

"Yeah."

"What happened?"

"She fought back."

"What? Why did you quit? You should have-"

"I didn't quit for her..."

I stare through the window, and I know he's looking at me. That look on his face. The worried one. He doesn't respond, just stares at me. Eventually, he brings his attention back to the sleeping girl.

She twitches, and I suppose she's waking up. It takes about five minutes, then she shoots up to her feet.

"Daddy!?"

A man appears behind her, and she spins around. She jumps back at the sight of the man.

"How is she supposed to-"

"Shhh. Watch."

I furrow my eyebrows as I eagerly wait for what's to come next. He pulls a knife out of his pocket.

"Newt!"

"Slim it, Kenzie. I told ya, just watch."

She bites his wrist, and grabs the knife as he yells out in pain. She rapidly stabs over and over until he falls to the ground. We're making murderers out of children.

Astonished, I watch as the girl falls to her knees. "Newt..."

"I have to."

"No you-"

He gives me a sharp glare, and I close my mouth. "It's hard for me to. You're not the only one who hates doing this."

"I didn't say I was." I feel my face get hot with anger.

"Well you sure act like it."

He turns back to his computer, and I take a step back. "Excuse me?"

"No. I'm sorry, I just-"

"Oh, no. Don't apologize. You told me how you feel."

"No...I'm just stressed. Please don't-"

"Just...stop." I turn to leave. I feel angrier with every second I'm in this room. Is that really what people think of me?

He doesn't follow me. He has work to do, and I'm glad of it. I walk to the computer room, and stand in front of Joshua as soon as I find him.

"I want to fight. Get me out of here."

"I'm working on it. If you'd just give me some time, maybe you would get what you want sometimes."

"Wait? So you're letting me go back out?"

"Yes. Thomas contacted me hours ago. I'm already working on your replacement."

I can't help the huge smile that appears on my face. "Tomorrow?"

"Yes." I grab Joshua into an awkward hug. I let go, and turn to leave the room. "He went to see Brenda today. I haven't any feedback yet."

I turn my head, and nod at him. Then I leave the room. I almost forgot. I make my way to Lily's observation room. "Hey."

"Hey, Kenzie. Did you quit for the day?"

"Yeah."

"K."

I watch as Sarah beats the klunk out of her brother. He falls to the floor, and I cringe at the sight of it. His body disappears. "I knew it was fake," she says as he pushes her hair out of her face.

"Good that," Lily says through the mic, "Take five."

Sarah smiles, and enters the room Lily and I stand in. "Hey Kenzie. When did you get here?"

"Just now."

"Oh ok." She takes a seat in one of the chairs behind us.

Somehow, we end up talking for two hours, and it's time for dinner. I've missed having friends.

We make our way to the cafeteria, and take a seat at our usual table. Newt doesn't come to dinner, and I know why.

I head back to my room, and get ready for bed. I pull out my dreamcatcher. I bring it close to my chest before I drift off to sleep.