Chapter 44

"Fire!" Gunshots go off everywhere. Fifty fall. I realize that I didn't even lift my bow. I bring the scope up to my face, and ready myself to shoot.
Target acquired.
203 mph
Release when ready.

"Fire!" I hear Thomas call out. I release my arrow. It hits my target, as usual. I watch as about one hundred fall to the ground. It's doubling.

"Ready!" I bring my attention back to my bow. "Aim!" I find my target. "Fire!" I release. Two hundred. We're not even equal yet. "Come on, guys! Ready, aim, fire!" I barely have time to prepare, but I make it just in time. Four hundred fall. We're even. "Ready yourselves to fight!" No...we can't... I continue to shoot, as does Thomas. I think a few more people do. I don't care. I just don't want to die. I place my bow back over my body, and whip out a knife. I don't even wait for them to reach me...I run to them. I slit I don't know how many throats before I take the first blow to the stomach. I keep going. Two more slits. A punch in my arm. Most of the people in my range are in front of me now, so I pull out my gun and shoot. How am I not dead yet?

I feel something hit the back of my head. Twice. It sends pain shooting through my neck, and down my back. Another hit. I turn around. A woman has been pounding my head with a rock. I grab her wrist, and yank her to the floor. I hold my gun facing down. She covers her face with her hands, and brings her knees up into a fatal position. I close my eyes shut, and pull the trigger. That's going to haunt me.

I feel my vision starting to get blurrier as I run through the battle field. I shoot oncoming people as they try to kill me with pieces of glass. Ridiculous.

Someone grabs me, and wraps their arms around my stomach. "Kenzie! Come on!"

I scream, and try to get the grip to release. I yank free, and spin around to see who it is. Minho? "What!?" I yell over the chaos.

"It was a set up! We need to get out of here!" I look around at the running soldiers, shooting behind them, and heading back towards the Bergs.

"Set up! By who!?"

"I'll tell you later, come on!"

I run towards my Berg, but Thomas grabs my arm, "Your Berg is full, come with me and Minho!" We run to a random Berg, and hop in it. Soldiers from other sections are in here. This is crazy. The aircraft takes flight, and most of the talking quiets down. "What the shuck just happened?" I ask Minho.

"Ask Thomas."

Everyone in the Berg draws their attention to Thomas, who is rubbing his face in frustration. "Right Arm. They pulled one on us."

"What? How?"

"Haven't you noticed none of them were Cranks? Or at least, most of them. Fortunately, Joshua contacted me before things got worse."

I stick my hand in my hair, and lean back against the wall. The shock I feel is apparent. "So we just killed...people."

"They're all people, Kenzie. Just not all of then are in their right mind."