Chapter 10

The Berg lands, and all of the people who came with us stood in two lines in front of the exit.

"Give us a signal if you need back up," one of the bigger guys says, he must be the Keeper. I still use Glader terms out of habit.

"Ok. Newt," I turn to him, he seems nervous and excited all at the same time, "Let me talk to them, and I'll come get you when I'm ready." He doesn't argue, just nods. I walk with the two rows of men on either side as the door opens. Both Group A and B are standing maybe fifty yards away from the entrance of the Berg, and I walk over to them. They have weapons: guns, knives, pieces of glass. They all look surprised to see me. Harriet, Sonya, and Lily push their way to the front, and stare at me with wide eyes. Thomas is in the front, and when I lock eyes with him, I feel anger rushing throughout my whole body, like a bomb was set off in an instant.

"Thomas! It's great to see you," the sarcasm is apparent in my voice. "I've come to you guys today, to explain what has happened since you abandoned me at the crumbling headquarters of WICKED..."

I see the guilt on the three girls faces. "WICKED, at first, forced me to put that klunk machine on my face. I remembered everything. I also remembered one thing very important to me...I glance at Thomas, "Newt." He drops his gun to his side.

"Yeah, he's a shuck Crank." Minho. I kind of missed his sarcasm.

"No, actually. He's dead," Thomas looks at me, and his death stare drops. I can see the desperation, the fact that he hasn't told Minho what he's done angers me. "Thomas killed him."

Everyone looks at Thomas, and Thomas looks at his feet. Brenda grabs his hand.

Minho looks more angry than I've ever seen him, although, I haven't seen him much.

"That's not all. Newt entered into the Maze because he loved me...and I loved him." Thomas looks up at me, as if to apologize. "And once I remembered, they told me they needed my brain, and that since 'Thomas wouldn't comply', that I was the runner up. Because when I first entered the Maze, I was not immune. Now I am."

Everyone looks around at each other. Conversations break out within the crowd. And I just stare at all of them. Minho doesn't speak. Just stares blankly in my direction. The conversations quiet down, and I continue to speak, "But, I came up with a better suggestion, a cure, in fact. It wasn't hard, it was so easy, WICKED would have never even let the thought come to mind. How about this: have you ever had a headache, but told yourself you didn't, and eventually, it went away?"

There are nods and yeses all around. Then silence.

"Well, the Flare is a disease of the mind. Controls the mind. Defeated by the mind, maybe?"

I see eyes light up all around, as if they understand.

"Thomas. I would not have given you away like that if it wasn't for...well, let me show you." I walk back over to the bottom of the ramp that leads to the Berg. Newt is standing right at the top. And I motion him to come down. He walks down, and looks at the crowd. Screams and cheers and gasps come from all around. All of the boys of Group A run to him, and I step out of the way.