Chapter 20

I wake up.

 I see someone aiming a gun at Thomas, but I can't tell who it is, their back is turned. I jump to my feet, "No!"

He looks over his shoulder at me, "He did it to me, now it's his turn..." It's Newt. He turns back around, and prepares to shoot.

"Newt, this isn't right. I've forgiven him, and you should too."

"You've forgiven him? You weren't the one shot in the head!" He turns around, and points the gun at me. I put my hands up.

"Woah, woah. Newt, just calm down. What's wrong with you?"

"I can't take this place anymore, Kenzie. If it wasn't for you having the Flare, I wouldn't be here. I'd have run away...So maybe..." He cocks the gun, "Now I can." He pulls the trigger.

I wake up. I'm in the white room, and the door opens. Thomas. "You told me it was only a dream..."

"What was?"

He walks closer to me, "Brenda. You said it was a dream, that you didn't actually shoot her!"

"It...was a dream."

"She's dead! Because of you!" He pulls me up by my shirt, and punches me in the face.

Was it a dream? Did I really shoot her?

He lets go of my shirt, and I fall back to the floor. "And now you will die- the same death she did..."

I blink, and when I open my eyes, I'm out in the desert, where I killed Brenda. Thomas stands over me, and pulls a gun out.

"Thomas, I-"

He shakes his head, and laughs. Then he pulls the trigger. I wake up in the white room. And the door opens, I slide back, expecting to see Thomas, but it's Joshua. He looks shocked.

"What?"

He points to my neck. My necklace, he must have put it on while I was sleeping.

"You had a nightmare."

"Yeah..."

"This doesn't make sense." He rubs his face.

"Give me some time to think about it..."

"You don't have time, Kenzie! The next time you sleep, you'll die in your dream and won't wake up! The Flare is going to kill you!"

"No it's not. We can't lose hope, remember."

"There is no hope!"

"Fine, you can't lose hope. I may be dead, but you're not. No sense in you getting the Flare too."

Hope. It's a dream. I try to wake up. But I can't.

"It's not a dream, Kenzie..."I look up at him. “At least you have that necklace, to wear it before you go to sleep. I don't know what we will do about the others. Maybe there are just some people who die from the Flare. But once they're gone, everything will go back to normal."

"Don't think like that..." Come on...what is it? How can this necklace give me good dreams? The necklace Newt gave me. The guy I love. The guy I think about before...That's it! "I got it!"

"What is it?" I can tell by the tone in his voice, he doesn't believe me.

"It's the last thing I think about...before I go to bed. When you put it on while I was sleeping, I didn't have the chance to think about it before I slept."

"Ok, one more test." He walks over to me, crouches down, and grabs my face, "I want you to think about everything that gives you hope, hold on to it, feel it. Don't. Let. Go." He stands up, and rushes out of the room. And I realize, this is my last chance, this last experiment, it's determining whether I live or not.

No, no. Think of hope.Newt. Lily. Thomas. You're going to find the cure. You're going to save the world. The Flare doesn't own you.

I don't even notice the fog, and I sleep. My last dream.