Chapter 46

It feels like the ride to WICKED takes forever. No one really talks, and I don't blame them. My whole body aches. Even the cut on either sides of my shoulders start to pang. I whip out my remote. I brace myself for the snip of the two needles into my skin, and press the button. It only hurts for a second, though. Then the pain is gone.

"You alright?" I hear Thomas say.

"Yeah. It hurts every now and then, but I'll be fine."

"It's been over a month."

"I probably don't give it as much medicine as I should."

"Oh..."

The Berg lands just moments later, and all of the Gladers sprint off of the aircrafts in order to see why we were brought home. Ava, Barbara, and Joshua stand in front of the elevators. The group of teenagers form a crowd behind me and Thomas. Questions like: "What happened?" and "What's with Right Arm?" emerge from the Gladers as Ava stands idly, staring at us. Eventually, everyone quiets down.

"All of your questions will be answered in good time. But for now, let's discuss the reason you all are here. We need to continue with the experiment. I-"

"I'm not going back to that shuck Maze!" I hear Minho yell from the back of the crowd. I feel my heart beating faster as the they stir up again. I can't go back.

Ava stares at us with an irritated expression. I look over at Joshua, who is trying to hide how fidgety he is by grasping his clipboard closer to his chest, and staring at the ceiling.

I draw my attention back at Ava, who has lifted her hands to quiet everyone. "That apparently is not the case. You do, of course, recall that the Maze didn't work, thank you," she rolls her eyes slightly, "Now, I will continue explaining. McKenzie. She will be the one experimented on."

"I thought she was done with that klunk," Thomas says as he steps forward. I look straight at the wall. I can't afford to make eye contact with anyone.

The crowd bursts into conversation again, and Ava turns to face Joshua. She shakes her head, and places her hand on her forehead.

I turn to face the Gladers. "Shut up! Why don't y'all let her explain what's going on! Riot if you want after you know what's what!" I turn back around, and look at Ava, who nods in approval.

She clears her throat, "She will be the end to our suffering. One more experiment is all I ask. She will have a choice, of course, in the end, to sacrifice for the cause."
Sacrifice what? I know that's what Thomas wants to say. I can see it written all over his face when I look at him.

"Testing will start in the morning. See you then, McKenzie. Now, get some rest."

The crowd begins its conversation again as the three leave the room. They don't go up the elevator, though. They exit through a door to the left of the wall we face. Me and Thomas step into the elevator as the Gladers continue to talk about what is to come.

The door closes, and we are left alone. In the silence. In our own thoughts. But it's as if I can still hear the Gladers talking. Like chaos floods my ears. I can't even hear Thomas tall to me when he does. "Are you even listening to me?"

"No." He let's out a heavy sigh. "Sorry. What?"

"It's just...Whatever Ava has planned, it's cruel and pointless. Don't accept. Tell her no, and come back to fight with us. There's no point in experimenting anymore. You've done all you can."
All I can. "No. I've done all I want. It's time I step out of my comfort zone, and do what they want. It's not my decision of who lives or not. Except myself. And I will die for the cause."

The door opens, and I step off. I turn around as Thomas continues, "Yeah, well...it's not their choice either." The door starts to close, but he sticks his hand in, "Are you not coming to dinner?" I just stare at him. He nods once, and lets go of the door. It shuts, and I head to my room.

I lay on my bed as I twist the dream catcher necklace between my fingers. What's going to happen to me? Eventually, I drift off to sleep.