chapter twenty-three

I step out onto the curb, and I stand there on the sidewalk as I take the time to say at my childhood home

I step out onto the curb, and I stand there on the sidewalk as I take the time to say at my childhood home. The three bedroom, two bathroom house looks cosy from the outside and it was just the same inside. I take a deep inhale and walks up the pathway, I find the key behind a brick in the wall and unlocks the front door of the house, walking down the hallway but I backtrack when I forgot to take off shoes.

Momma's number one rule.

After kicking off my worn-out Vans, I make my way to the hall once again to find my mom and brothers sitting around the kitchen island in their tiny kitchen with only minimal counter space, sink, small kitchen island, and stove. My mom's hard efforts in repainting the walls and decorations have made it look nicer.

Their bored faces change into those of excitement when they acknowledge me. Arman squeezes me to death as he hugs me tightly next is Trey who gives me a side hug and ruffles my hair, messing it up in the process. I smack his hands away and shove him before giving my mom a big bear hug, rocking from side to side.

"Thank God, you are here I was losing brain cells spending time with your brothers here," She whispers in my ear. My mom's comment has me choking on a laugh as her mom laughs softly under her breath. "Y'all better not be talking about us," Arman says us putting his phone on the counter.

"Who said we weren't?" Our mom arches a brow at him, and Arman opens and closes his mouth repeatedly for a reply as his brother snickers.

"I don't remember what the joke was, T." Trey smacks his mouth against his teeth as he narrows his eyes at Arman, "Bruh, why you gotta be so - "

"Alright, enough! Jesus, I can't believe as old as you are, y'all still fight like your toddlers." Mom intervenes. I roll my eyes at my family. Home sweet home. I reach into my purse and take out a triangular shaped cardboard box, "I got Toblerone?"

After getting settled I changed into more comfortable clothes as my brothers and I watch a movie while mom is in the kitchen baking, I've noticed that Arman has had his eyes glued to the phone with the goofiest grin on his face, "who got you cheesin at your phone like that?" I ask my brother. His head snaps up to me, "Huh?" He clears his throat aggressively, tucking his phone away from my sight. "Nothing. It's nobody." Trey has passed out on the couch long ago and he's snoring loud as hell, Arman and I stare at him before I scoot closer to him. "Arman, you can tell me. Now, who is she?"

"Why do you gotta assume it's she?" I arch a brow at him, "oh, it's a guy then?" He makes a face at me in confusion, "what? No. Don't even try to play me like that." I can't help but cackle at him before sobering up a little while later. Arman begrudgingly brings out his phone to show his me. I can't help but let out an aww when I sees the picture of my brother with a beautiful girl with dark brown eyes, braids, and dark cocoa skin tone. She's pretty. In the picture they're both smiling and I gotta admit they look beautiful together. "Wow. She's beautiful. What did she see in yo ugly ass?" I jokes and he shoves me with his shoulder. I laugh, "okay, okay I'm just playing," I look at the photo again, "what's her name?"