chapter twenty seven

The front door opens and closes and Devontae strolls into my apartment, and I turn my whole body the door and look at him bored as he heads towards me and fucking throws himself on the couch right next to me

The front door opens and closes and Devontae strolls into my apartment, and I turn my whole body the door and look at him bored as he heads towards me and fucking throws himself on the couch right next to me. I scowl at him, "really?"

I can practically smell the amusement that's dancing in his eyes, "what? Didn't ya miss me?" I roll my eyes playfully at him. "No, plus you interrupted my daily dose of puppy heaven." I say, picking up my phone again. I feel Devontae sink further into my side and drapes his arm across the back of the couch. I don't bother moving as his large, long body provides my own with so much needed body heat. He sits silently next to me as I scroll through me for you page. I look at him through the corner of my eye, "there's no practice today?"

"There is, but I got time for you." I'm sure I look ridiculous with the huge silly grin that's spread across my face when I hear that sentence leave his mouth. With Devontae being an athlete and captain, he's forever busy. I do see him but it's not for long especially since its basketball season. "As much as I am flattered by that, I don't want you to be getting into trouble with Coach Jackson." He waves me off, "he'll be aight."

I squint my eyes at him, not believing him because everybody knows how Coach Jackson is like but if he says so...

"You hungry?" He asks me and I nod my head enthusiastically and he gets up first and I get up putting my slides on and follow him quickly out the door.

...

After getting out of his car, we stop at a food truck that sells Mexican food, I could aroma of spices, chilli and meat wafted to my nostrils making me even more hungry than I was before. I hear my stomach growl which also draws Devontae's attention as we cross the street, I feel my ears become hot from embarrassment and Devontae simply lets out a breathy laugh. When we finally get to the food truck, a burly man with tan skin and a full beard and moustache comes to our view. His eyes are a dark brown colour with full brows and a bright welcoming smile.

"Hola, what can I get you both?"

"Hola lo que recomiendas?" I ask him and I swear I see his eyes light up when I code switch to Spanish.

"¡Oh! Bueno, tenemos unos deliciosos tacos de birria, quesadilas, nachos y nuestros famosos burritos." The man says, enthusiastically. I turn to Devontae, who's been standing watching us with a dazed expression.

"Are burritos good?"

He blinks at me. I'll take that as a yes then.

"‎Dos burritos por favor. Yo comeré carne y frijoles y él tendrá un pollo verde.‎ " The man nods, with a smile and turns to make the burritos. "He's making them now, you good with chicken verde right? Why are you looking at me like that?"

His eyes are hooded, his usual mocha coloured pupils are now a stormy black, his lips are slightly parted, and I can see his body rise and fall as he breathes heavily, it's almost like he's in a trance, he soon snaps out of it because he begins speaking at a mile per minute, "I gotta go and - you want a drink? you need a drink? yeah, you need one. I'll be back."