chapter forty four

You'd think that people would find something new to talk about and forget my relationship, but they haven't

You'd think that people would find something new to talk about and forget my relationship, but they haven't. People who focus too much on the lives of others are either extremely miserable or have way too much free time on their hands. Or both.

My publicists managed to calm everything down by releasing a statement but honestly, I wish it wasn't pre planned, it just doesn't seem genuine enough – however when I said that I backtracked because why in the fuck to I must even release a statement in the first place? I wanted nothing more but to take it into my own hands and take it to my story but really, I didn't want to aggravate the situation and I don't wanna out Ki in an even more complicated position.

To top all that, going to campus has been awkward, the stares and whispers have become more apparent, and it's made me fucking paranoid. Now I gotta be inconspicuous in public and I just want to do normal uni shit like go to class.

Ki has become more silent and reserved and I fucking hate it. This was what I meant when I said that the internet sucks the life out of shit. I feel like my girlfriend has been replaced by the shell of who she was. Now I'm in this limbo because I never know what I should say to her. I'm worried that her mental health's been compromised ever since the whole incident.

I decided to go pick her up from work today, so I can try and cheer her up with takeout and a movie, I pull up to the diner and park right in front of entrance and hop out the car, shutting the door and entering the diner, I look around and find Mia at the till and two other girls serving. I walk up to the cashier, and I take a seat, "hey, Mia."

"Hey, Devontae!" She greets cheerfully, "what can I get for you?"

"A water is okay and is Kiana in?" She should be but I don't see her. Mia slides a glass and a bottle of cold water my way. I give her fifty and she gives me a bland look, but she knows better than to argue with me and just accepts it, "oh, she's in the back taking her break, I think Rome's with her."

My brows raise at the fact she called him Rome and not Roman, but I don't say nothing. Roman absolutely hates it when people he's not familiar with or at least close with calls him by his nickname, I find it funny because he's so laidback and naturally charismatic, so everybody feels comfortable around him, but he don't like it when people wanna get too familiar. So, Mia and Rome's business ain't none of mine but I think there's something going on there.

"Do you mind if I steal her for a little bit?" I try and butter her up and she grins, "anytime, she could use some cheering up." She disappears in the back and reappears with both Rome and Kiana in tow. He daps me up and Kiana's eyes widen in shock when she sees me, "oh my God, what are you doing here?"

"Taking you home. I got the whole night planned out."

"For real? I'd love to but I got work, I can't just up and leave." Kiana's head keeps looking between me and Mia, like she's watching a tennis match. "Go ahead, babe. I'll cover for you." Kiana pouts and she hugs her co-worker, "thank you."