chapter thirty two

The entire Carter family is already in the kitchen when Devontae and I make it down the stairs, his two brothers scoffing down their food like it'll disappear, his little sister, eating cereal with one hand and her phone in the other

The entire Carter family is already in the kitchen when Devontae and I make it down the stairs, his two brothers scoffing down their food like it'll disappear, his little sister, eating cereal with one hand and her phone in the other. His mom is making her way around the kitchen preparing breakfast and his bully of a dad, reading the newspaper.

"Good morning." I greet, rubbing my eyes.

"Morning." Devontae greets as well, fist bumping his brothers and ruffling his sister's hair. She scowls at him, smacking his hand away with the spoon. We grab a seat around the island, Devontae placing his arm around the back of my chair.

"I hope you slept well; we have a long day today." His mom says cheerily, smiling in my direction, dishing up a plate of breakfast. I'm confused now. "We do?" I question.

"You do?" Devontae repeats.

"Yes, we do. After all I'd like to get to know my son's girlfriend." I don't miss the way she says it, and the mischievous gleam in her eye. I don't know how to feel about it yet, "uh ─ "

"No, no, no. More eating, less talking." Loretta scolds us playfully, handing me a plate of food. Devontae and I look at each other with horrified expressions. What are we gonna do now?

...

"Momma had to draw on his eyebrows for an entire month."

My belly is aching by the time Destiny is finished explaining the story when Devontae and his brothers would pull pranks on one another when they were still in high school, but De'Andre took it a little bit too far and shaved Devontae's eyebrows off.

"Those boys will be the death of me." Mrs. Cater mumbles, fixing the napkin on her lap.

The plans that Mrs Carter was referring to was brunch. Brunch with the ladies of the Carter family went even better than I thought. I thought I'd be awkward and would run out of stuff to talk about, but it was the total opposite after doing a little shopping and a late lunch. I have never seen anyone order as much food as these women, the entire table was filled with delicious food ranging from bagels, French toast, baked beans, fruit, croissants, pancakes, waffles and all three kinds of eggs. I am in food heaven.

When the laughter dies down, Ms Carter looks at me and that makes me a little suspicious, yet she plays it cool. "I know you're not dating my son, Kiana."

I choke on my cream cheese bagel, "I beg your pardon?"

"You heard me." Ms Carter laugh silently. I swirl my tongue across my teeth and adjusting the napkin on my lap, "a month long. I'm sorry Mrs Carter, I ─"

"Honey, don't apologize. It's okay, I had a feeling Devontae wasn't telling the truth when he was stuttering and rambling when he said he bringing you and not as a friend but as a girlfriend." Ms Carter arches a brow at me, like she's scolding one of her kids.