chapter thirty eight

The last time I can remember being here was when I was seven years old

The last time I can remember being here was when I was seven years old. I do not remember the specific details, but I do remember the experience. I was holding tightly onto my mother's hand while the other held a huge bag of popcorn, my other hand was held by my mom's boss's son, Christopher as his other hand, held a roll of cotton candy on a stick. This time around, I walking with Devontae's large hand in mine, who's practically pulling me along with him.

My eyes ping pong to the different carnival games, the smell of the delectable food from corndogs to freshly popped corn. As much as I try to hide it, I can't hold contain my excitement and I'm pretty sure Devontae can tell because, his grin seems to widen every time he glances at me.

The whole gang is in attendance too, it was Devontae who pitched the idea as our second date however the rest of our friends got wind of the news and basically attacked us in the group chat of why they couldn't come along. Tae was a bit defeated as he wanted us to be alone, but I didn't mind, and knowing Devontae, I'm pretty sure he's got a trick up his sleeve.

All nine of us huddle around as I speak, "Meet back here at ten?" They all respond with quick 'yeah's, 'sure's and nods before dispersing, leaving me and Devontae alone. He looks down at me with a smile, "so where you gonna first?"

"That one!" I point at the miniature basketball game. It's got two nets and five blue coloured basketballs and a scoreboard. The stall owner looks to us with a smile as we get nearer.

"Really?"

I nod.

"You wanna play that against me?"

"Yes. Don't think for a second that just because you been playing for your entire life that it's a guarantee that you're gonna beat me." I say confidently as we line up by the stall.

"A'ight bet. I hope you gonna still say the same shit when I beat you." He smacks me hard on the ass and it makes me yelp in surprise. I smack his as well and he lifts his hand further back like he's about to smack it again and I give him a death glare. He stops and instead rubs my butt gingerly as the couple before us leaves, he takes the spot next to me, rolling up his sleeves.

I search through my purse for cash but as I'm about to hand the man working the stall fifty bucks, Devontae smacks my hand away, he narrows his eyes at me, "just let me pay for once in your life."

"I told you before and I'm gonna tell you again. You ain't gonna pay for shit as long as I'm around." He reminds me taking out a hundred dollars from his wallet and hands it to the man working the stall who I'm pretty sure seems amused by all this.

I sigh, ultimately giving up at his adamance. I pick up the ball and throwing it into the hoop, scoring my first point. I give Tae a toothless grin while he just rolls his eyes. "Don't be too confident, mama."

"Speak for yourself." I say, making my second goal effortlessly. "Sure." He says sarcastically, picking up the ball scoring his first point. We continue shooting balls in the hoops and when distributed balls run out, the final score is 30 - 35. However instead of teasing me, he simply ruffles my hair, then kiss me on the cheek.