chapter seven

Mr

Mr. Hudson turns off the projector and begins packing up, "that's all for today, you're free to go."

Everyone begins to pack up as well and specifically me, because I was gonna be late for my shift at the diner. When I've put everything away in my tote bag, I fast walk out the class squeezing between the massive crowd of students.

I'm halfway down the stairs when I feel for my phone in my pocket and it's not there, I check in my tote bag and it's not there either then I realise I must've left it in the lecture hall. My iPhone 8 might be a little outdated to still have in 2020 but since I can't really afford to get a new phone right now.

I turn on my heel and sprint back to class, however I don't see the giant heading my direction and I crash into him and hard. I almost fall backwards but a pair of strong hands steady me by reaching out for my waist. My eyes remain closed, bracing myself to make contact with the ground but it never comes, I open my left eye and peer to find out what's going on and I meets Devontae's amused face.

"You, okay?" He asks, bringing me back onto her feet and I nod wordlessly.

"I'm fine, I just need to get my uh –" I point my thumb towards the lecture hall we were just in wanting to make a break for it. I don't know why I'm acting so weird since we made a truce. Or maybe it's because of the fact I can still feel his touch burning on my skin even moments later.

"Your phone?" He asks and I look at him weirdly. He reaches into his pocket and reveals my busted rose gold phone. He hands it to me, and I smile up at him gratefully. "Thank you so much." I exhale, holding my phone to my chest in relief.

He shrugs, "it's cool, I was actually gonna give it to you back in class, but you was moving so fast when I looked for you, you were already gone."

I laugh nervously, "that's 'cause I – shit, I'm late." I exclaim when I realise how much time I wasted talking to Devontae.

"I can drop you off." He offers and I shake my head furiously, backing away.
"No, no, no. I'm sure you got practice to attend to and it's just ten blocks away – "
Devontae rolls his eyes, "Like, I'm gonna let you walk ten fucking blocks, they'll be fine, they got Travis." Dre pauses, realising what he just said and shakes his head, "forget I even said that. Let's go."

Just as they head for the stairs, Travis, Lucas, James and Roman come from the corner, dressed in their training gear, talking among themselves when they make eyes contact with Devontae and I, they stop.

Devontae groans, knowing what's about to happen. I supress an eye roll cos I know what's about to happen too. "Oh, we thought our captain went missing but here he is..." Roman says, smirking at us.

Devontae and I look at him blandly before looking at each other, taking this opportunity to bolt out of there, "hi, boys. Nice to see ya, gotta go." I rush out and begin shoving him towards the stairs.