Seventeen||Part Two

"The Heart of a Killer"

It was the longest three hours of his life, but he did it. He got them to the hospital—all three of them. With one hand on the wheel, a baby in his arms, her unconscious mother in the passenger seat, and her late father in the back of the truck, he got them there as fast he could.

When he got to Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital, it had just hit noon. The doctors immediately took the baby and her mom. All while another group went to get the dad out of the truck.

The man was forced to sit in the waiting room and wait. They weren't technically his responsibility, so after reluctantly telling an officer where the car crash was, he was free to go.

However, he didn't want to go. He wanted to see what happened to the baby and the mom. Were they going to be okay? Did he get them both there fast enough?

Already he was putting the father's death on himself. He couldn't help but think that if he only got there faster, maybe in some shape or form, the dad could still be alive.

Right about now, he needed a cigarette and a whole bottle of Bourbon, which was still in his truck only on the floor this time, since the mom was in the passenger seat.

Sitting there, just waiting, was too daunting for him. He hadn't been this anxious in a very long time. Mentally he was going insane, wondering if something was wrong, especially with the baby.

He didn't know how long she had been out there in the cold and without food. She cried practically the whole way to the hospital, traumatizing the poor man.

All he wanted to do was take her pain and discomfort away, but he couldn't.

He was useless, and that wasn't something he liked to feel.

Hours went by of the doctors telling him nothing, and by the time four rolled around, he had stood up and put on his jacket to finally give in to that smoke break.

Before he even had one arm in, a nurse in pink scrubs approached him. "You're the man who brought in the baby and the mother in, right?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "Are they okay? Can I see them?"

She motioned for him to follow her, and he did. Swiping her access card, she opened the doors leading to the back of the hospital.

"The baby is better than ever." The nurse informed him, "we got her warmed up, and she's well fed. It's good that you found her when you did. If she was in the cold any longer, she wouldn't have made it."

The nurse gave a proud smile, and he only gave a sharp nod in reply, though on the inside, he was very relieved.

"And the mother?" he asked after a second.

"The mother has just woken up. She has a small concussion and a broken arm, but as they say, time heals all wounds."

Stopping in the middle of an intersection, she looked up at the tall man. "Who would you like to see first?"

He decided on the mother.

Turning to the right, with a swipe of her access card, they entered the medical ward.

A few turns down the grim halls, and they finally got to the floor the mother was on.

"She's just down here," the nurse pointed.

Six doors down were where the woman was, and she didn't sound happy.

"What do you mean Dylan's dead?"