Twenty-Six||Part Two

"Unconventional"

"So almost a year, huh?" Charles asked Saray as they walked down the sidewalk side by side.

While he had his hands in his pocket, Saray was sipping on her delicious red velvet cake milkshake. She didn't even know a milkshake-like that existed, but it was so good and just what she needed.

It was a warm yet chilly day. As days went by, the cool air seemed to increase. Fall was starting to make its presence known. He was on his way and was about to change the once-summer scenery into a beautiful autumn paradise. You could already see some of the tree leaves starting to turn color.

"Yeah, we met at work - Xavier and me. He helped me get settled with being an assistant for my old boss. It was love at first sight." She gave a smile, reminiscing.

"At least that's what I thought. I thought we were going somewhere. Turns it out it was never really going anywhere. It was just an endless, pointless carousel."

She let out a huff, finding herself getting angry.

"Carousel?" Charles didn't understand her analogy.

She looked up at him, that angry look on her face instantly gone. "Yeah, it goes in a circle. That's kind of how love feels sometimes. It just keeps going and going, and you feel like you're never going to get off until . . . you do."

Saray let out a sigh, sipping her milkshake.

Her emotions changed quickly - Charles noticed that. She could be crying and then snap out of it instantly. Saray could show anger one moment and be sweet the next.

It was weird but amusing.

"I'm really sorry about your breakup."

"It's okay, Mr. Sw - Charles." Saray corrected herself, having remembered when they were in the elevator, he told her not to be so formal.

Though he was wearing a suit, it was only because he was the boss. In reality, he was actually pretty laid back, and apparently, his staff was too.

"I mean, I'll get past this, right?" Her lips started to quiver at the thought of her healing process.

Partially because it was less about being ghosted and more about the fact that she was twenty-five and has never made it to a one-year relationship.

Saray was starting to believe what she already suspected - she was the problem. Feeling another breakdown coming on, she quickly shipped on her shake.

"Saray, why were you fired from your last job?" Charles asked as they turned the corner, getting closer to the building.

"Well . . ." she bit her lip. "You know I'm . . . well you've met me. I just broke down in your office."

"And that means?"

They stopped walking, and she turned to him. "I have a big . . . personality. Which people tend to not appreciate."

Saray started venting again, pacing back and forth as strangers passed them by.

"I've been called bipolar and crazy. People think I have ADHD or ADD, and it's all because I'm a little more exciting and passionate than most people. I've been like this since I was a kid, and even then, people thought I had a problem. Just because I'm different and they're lame doesn't mean I have issues."

Through her venting, it seemed she was really avoiding the question.

"Saray . . ."

"It was a bad day, and I wasn't feeling well," she explained. "I accidentally spilled coffee on one of my co-workers when I bumped into her. She was rightfully upset. I apologized. Instead of accepting the apology, she said that I was crazy and needed to go home and take my meds."