Seven

"Parental Control"

It took a long time to realize the feeling in his gut was homesickness. He never thought he would miss that place. But here he was, as far away as he could possibly get, feeling lost, hopeless, and alone. As dysfunctional as Cameron's life was back in Park Rapids, Minnesota, with his dad, it was his home. It was all that he knew. Its where he went to school, and where his friends were. It was where the mechanic shop that he loved working at so much was.

His father was nothing more than a drunk, who caused him trouble all the time, and he couldn't deal with it anymore. He had to get away from his father and, more importantly, out of Park Rapids. It was a small town, where every knew everything.

There was never really much going on, and Cameron realized he wasn't going to get anywhere if he stayed there. So, he saved up some money and bought a ticket to the place of opportunities: New York City.

He didn't know anyone, nor did he have any place to stay. Yet there he was standing in the middle of the busy Time Square. He felt lost, confused, and alone.

What did he do from here? It was his first time out of Park Rapids, and he didn't know what to do or where to go. He didn't think he would ever get this far.

If only he had a familiar face - just one.

"Cameron?" 

At the mention of his name, Cameron turned his head, noticing a beautiful brown skin girl with short curly hair, looking at him.

"Cameron Andrews?" she walked up to him.

Cameron couldn't believe it. Out of all people, he didn't expect to see her. They hadn't seen each other since they were fifteen-years-old.

"Livanna Nelson?" a smile spread across Cameron's face. 

"What a surprise!" Livanna pulled him into a hug.

"Boy, am I happy to see you!" Cameron hugged her back tightly. Pulling back, he looked her up and down, "damn it, Liv," he bites his lip.

"What?" she blushed.

"I always said you would grow up to a hot as fu -"

"You have not changed at all," she covered his mouth. "Your mouth is still dirtier than ever."

Cameron pulled her hand away and held it, "and you're still keeping it classy as ever. No matter how mad you get, you still wouldn't flip a bird."

"Nope," Livanna nodded proudly.

They gazed into each other's eyes, taking in the moment. They couldn't believe how much time had passed. One of the most traumatic experiences of their lives was getting separated from one another.

"Cam, what are you doing here?" Livanna asked him.

Cameron sighs, adjusting the strap of his bookbag, "I had a big blow out with my dad, thought it was time to get out of Park Rapids?"

"So, you came to New York City?" she raised her eyebrows at him. "A place like this, for a small-town guy like you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

"It means when you talked about your future, leaving Park Rapids was never apart of it."

"Well," Cameron shrugged. "Guess it was time."

"I know what you mean," Livanna nods. "You want to get a drink and catch up? We can get some coffee or food?"

"I think a drink would do me better."