Forty-Eight

"With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear"

"You guys were incredible!" an excited eight-year-old Clare came storming into her terraced home. "No, not incredible. Amazing, electrifying -"

"We get it," her older brother Axel shook his head as he guided his bandmate Grace inside the home with their cased electric guitars. He set them to the side and closed the door.

As she kicked off her shoes, Grace took in the smell of the home, having been there a few times before.

While Axel took off her jacket, she mapped out what she could remember of the home's layout. She reached to her right, touching the arm of the couch. They were in the living room.

A vibration sprang through the sofa, hitting her palm. Grace was jumping on it as she imitated Axel's guitar solo.

Grace smiled, "is she doing air guitar again?"

"Yes," Axel rolls his eyes. "Off the couch," he snapped. "and off to bed you go, it's late."

Clare lands on her butt, whining, "but I'm not tired yet. How could I sleep after such a great night?"

"Clare, don't argue," Axel leads Grace to the couch.

"Please, let me stay up! Just for a few minutes!" she begged.

"Five minutes, and you're off," Axel reasoned. "Thirsty?" he asked Grace.

"Yeah, sure, I'll take whatever you have."

"Alright then," Axel widened his eyes at Clare. "Five minutes. Make it count."

As he goes to the kitchen, Clare quickly takes off her jacket and shoes and gets comfortable beside Grace.

"So, you like the nightlife, eh?" Grace asked her.

"Do I?" Clare fought the urge to stand on the sofa. "I love it! I wish Axel would let me come out with you guys more often."

"Well, as cool as it is to have you around, the nightlife isn't a place for someone your age."

"I can handle myself," Clare said matter-of-factly. "Despite what others may think, Axel included. He always treats me like a child," she pouted.

Grace pats the air until she finds Clare's head. She ruffles her hair, "go easy on your brother. You're all each other has. He's doing his best and just wants to keep you safe."

Clare sighed, "I know." Silence fell over the two; they could hear Axel moving about in the kitchen.

Clare watched Grace thoughtfully.

Grace rarely looked in the direction of the person she was talking to; she's preferred looking at the floor if she could help it.

It was her choice to not wear glasses, but she was still mindful that it might make others uncomfortable to have a blind person staring past or at them.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," Grace nodded.

"Promise you won't get mad."

"Promise," Grace could sense what her question was going to be about. Just because she couldn't see didn't mean she couldn't feel the stares she often received - especially by a curious Clare.

"Were you always okay with being blind?"

Grace chuckles, "No, but I've learned to love it. As crazy as it sounds, I prefer a life without eyes."