Forty-Four

"Levi & Cameron"

In just a few months, Cameron's animal clinic had gained many clients and was busier than ever. Deciding to open a second clinic in a small town was not only a big decision to make but a risky one.

When it came to small towns, locals weren't keen to try new things, especially when it came to people. The businesses that made up the town of Fredricksburg had been there for years and generations.

Cameron didn't have much faith that the locals would suddenly drop their old veterinarians and come to her. But, boy, was she relieved that ended up being her case.

It helped that she had another progressing clinic back in Seattle. It showed that Cameron knew what she was doing and had skin in the game.

New town, new clinic, new people - the Texas heat. A lot had happened for the widow in the past few months. Two years without her husband and she'd finally decided to pack up her kids and leave the place she grew up.

Cameron and her late husband always talked about leaving Seattle. As much as they loved the city, they'd always dreamed of moving to a big house with a lot of land where their kids could run for miles. A place where it was quiet and not so many distractions.

Despite her husband's passing, Cameron decided that the dream didn't have to die with him. Her clinic in Seattle was doing great. After planning strategically, she had the means to move away and open another clinic. Until arriving in Texas, she realized how necessary the move was; how they all needed a fresh start.

Cameron sipped on a warm thermos of coffee, reading up on a file for one of her four-legged patients. She took a tumor out of a husky not too long ago, and he was due for a check-up.

As she flipped through the files, her cellphone rang inside her desk. Without looking, she opened the bottom draw, fishing the device out of her purse. It was her mother-in-law, Stephanie.

"Hey," she answers, "everything alright?"

"I don't know yet," Stephanie sounded annoyed. "Silas's school called. They said they tried to reach you."

At the mention of her middle child, Cameron's eyes fell on the family photo on her desk. She was surrounded by her red-headed husband and his identical spawns. She stood out due to her dark skin in contrast with their pale. That and she was heavily pregnant with her now two-year-old.

"Hold on," Cameron checked her call log. She did miss their calls; she'd been running around the clinic.

"Yeah, I did. Did they say what was wrong?"

"Apparently, Silas hit a girl."

Cameron let out a laugh, "he what?"

"Yeah, it doesn't sound like him," Stephanie agreed. Her annoyance made sense now. "The principal wants a meeting with you and the girl's parents."

"When?"

"Now, the girl's parents are on their way. I told them you'd be there. I would go, but I just got Jonah down for a nap. If I wake him up -"

"The apocalypse will start, yeah, I know," Cameron had already taken off her lab coat. She grabbed her jacket and keys. "I'm leaving out now."

"I smell bullshit, Cam," snarked Stephanie. "Silas wouldn't hurt a fly. Not even mourning his father."

"I know, I know," Cameron was trying to calm down her inner protective lioness. "I won't make any judgments until I get there. I'll call you after."