Thirty-Four||Part Three

"The Jensen Sisters"

"Thanks for coming!" Sarah waved goodbye to the last group of people from the funeral.

She closes the door, letting an exhausted sigh while stepping out of her heels. Adjusting her strapless black dress, she went to the kitchen where Alex was already cleaning up.

With a yawn, Sarah sits on the counter. "What a day, huh?"

Alex nods in agreement.

"I can't believe that's it," the mourning daughter said sadly. "My mom's actually gone, and I have to adjust to life without her. The house even feels odd."

Alex tosses a cup in the trash. "Yeah, but you know, you don't have to go through this alone."

Sarah looked away, knowing what he's talking about.

"I mean, you heard what your mom said in that letter. She -"

"Yeah, I know what she said, Alex. She expects Addy and Lina to drop whatever they're doin' in their lives just to be with me. She might be able to ask them that, but I can't. It's selfish."

Alex was going to respond but didn't when Sarah hopped off the counter. She stood in front of the fridge, staring at the different postcards Addison sent over the years and the pictures of them when they were young.

"I would feel like a burden if I asked them to stay. My sisters' lives are important."

"Yeah, and so are you," he scoffed.

Sarah rolls her eyes, going over to the sink. In the window, she could see Addison and Melina in the backyard on their old swing set. Their dad built it along time ago.

Her older sisters had been out there since everyone started leaving. Sarah knew they were discussing the letter and if they wanted to stay. She wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. Sometimes she felt like they left home because of her.

Alex stands beside her, "I don't think your mother wrote that letter just to get her girls back together. I think she wrote that letter to get you the support and help you need. That you're too scared to ask for."

Sarah sighed, knowing he was right.

"She gave you that push, but you need to push yourself now. Finding your parent . . . I don't know what that's like, but I know it's not something you can just move on from. Your sisters need to know that you need them, Sarah."

As stubborn as Sarah was, she knew that Alex was right.

It took a minute, but she finally dragged her feet over to the back door and went outside. Addison and Melina stooped talking when they noticed her.

"Hey, you, what's up?" Addy smiled.

Sarah wasn't good with talking out her feelings, so she just went for it.

"I need you guys."

The older siblings looked at each other, taken aback.

"I've been on my own with mom since you guys left. I don't know how to be alone, and I don't want to know. I just really want my sisters back."

They both nodded understandingly but didn't say anything.

Feeling too awkward and vulnerable for her liking, Sarah started backing up. "Okay, well, I'll let you two continue talkin'."

Melina and Addison watch her go back into the house.

"That was unlike Sarah. She's never been straightforward about anything that pertains to her feelings." Melina looks at Addison, who was looking at the ground as she swung back and forth.