Thirty-Seven

"Kya"

With her hood on and her head, Princess Kya walked through the booming marketplace quietly. She was nowhere near far enough from home, but her horse needed a break, and unfortunately, so did she.

As she passed food stands and eateries, she suddenly stopped at the sight of a WANTED flyer nailed into the wall of a bakery.

She grabbed the flyer with a frown, staring at the picture of her. Dead or alive, she was to be returned to the kingdom. Whoever brought her in would get a huge ransom and a job beside the new Queen and King.

Kya crushed up the flyer in a fit of rage, tossing it on the ground.

First, they lock her up and take her throne. Now they have her being hunted like some animal. She needed to get farther away from the castle - fast.

With the money that her handmaid, Aisha, gladly packed for her, she could buy some water and perishables for herself and her horse.

"Thank you," she paid an old man who passed her, her satchel of fruit and nuts.

He eyed her closely with a squint. "Do I know you?"

Kya hung her head low, "no." She quickly turns away, pushing through the busy crowd of patrons to get back to her horse.

Avoiding any eye contact, the princess was suddenly forced to stop and hide when a few officers came pushing past.

"Look for him!" yelled the leader. "He's somewhere around here!"

Taking another route, she walked down a dark empty alley.

Kya was so relieved when her horse was finally in sight. The relief quickly plummeted when she realized a man was trying to untie the colt.

"Come on, come on," the man pulled at the knotted rope. "Who in the hell tied this?" He quickly dropped the rope when he felt a cold, sharp blade against his neck.

"That would be me," Kya stood behind him as the culprit.

The last thing he expected was the owner's horse to be a woman.

"Do you always steal things that aren't yours?" Kya asked him.

"Only when I need them."

"Well," Kya pulled her sword away. "He's not for sale. Go steal from someone else."

Appalled, the huge man turned around.

Due to her hood, he couldn't see her face but her calm demeanor surprised him. Usually, when he got caught stealing, the person would threaten or try to kill him.

Kya was so focused on her situation all she did was start untying her horse so she could leave.

"So, that's it?" he scoffed. "You're just going to let me go?"

"Yes."

She was about to mount her horse, but he stopped her. "I appreciate the compassion, but I really need this horse. I'm willing to pay for her."

"Him," Kya corrected him sternly. "He is not for sell and your need is not my problem."

The man scowled in agitation, being that he was just in much of a hurry as Kya. He didn't want to use force, but her horse was his only way out.

He placed his hand on the handle of his sword, preparing to threaten her. His plan quickly went out the window when he heard the officers running their way.

Thinking faces, he pulled her into a kiss. Kya struggled to pull away, giving how strong he was. It wasn't until she kicked him in the groin that he fell to his knees.

"Are you crazy!?" She scolded him. "What gives you the audacity to do such a thing? Who the hell do you think you are?"

"Names Xavier," he whimpered in pain, "and you're Princess Kya."

"Yes, I am! Therefore -" Kya trailed off, her eyes bulging. "Wait, how did you -"

"Your hood," he stood with a grunt. "Your majesty," and gave an uncomfortable bow.

Kya's blood was boiling. She had so much to say and yet no time to say it.

"Well, it was not nice meeting you, Xavier," she spat curtly, turning to her horse.

Once again, Xavier stopped her from getting on. "I think you and I are in the same boat. You should consider a compromise."

"For such a big man, you have a tiny brain that for some reason cannot comprehend the word no. You and I are nothing alike. I'm innocent, and you're obviously a common thief."

"Oh, look, you're a princess, smart, and a bitch. What a combination," he said sarcastically with a smile.

Kya hit her last nerve.

Just as she pulled out her sword, Xavier did the same, both of them holding the weapons to each others' necks.

"I've never taken a man's life, but I'll do it," Kya threatened.

"I've got blood on my hands, I promise you, princess, I won't miss an ounce of sleep. One of us is getting this horse -"

"I have been chained up like an animal. I watched my mother die, betrayed by my family, and auctioned off as a sex slave. Now I'm being hunted while my sister and uncle sit on my throne! If anyone is riding out of here on this horse, it will be me!"

"Both of you freeze!!"

Simultaneously, the two turned to look at the guards surrounding them.

"Drop your weapons immediately. Both of you are wanted for your indecent crimes."

"He might be a criminal, but I am not," Kya shook her head with gritted teeth.

"Like I said," Xavier glanced at her. "We're in the same boat. Royalty or not, you're on the run like me. The best thing we can do is work together."

"Or you both can avoid death and surrender," said the leading office.

"I will not."

"In your dreams."

They said in unison.

Kya let out a sharp breath.

It was evident that they were going to have to work together, especially if they would take down this group of officers. She was willing to at least give him a right - but there were rules.

"I'm dropping you off at the next town. You are not to speak. If anything, try not to breathe. I prefer a quiet, peaceful ride."

"Hard to believe with all the talking you're doing," Xavier snapped.

"Are you in or not?" Kya glared.

"Definitely in."

"Great. You take the left and I the right."

"Got it."

"Oh, and try not to get hurt."

Xavier looks at her, cocking an eyebrow.

"I don't want blood on my horse."