Twenty-Seven||Part Three

"The Lounge Singer"

Audrey chuckled nervously at her scolding mother.

"Audrey, you're supposed to be upstairs doing your homework. You have to go bed soon, you have-"

"School tomorrow. Yes, mom, I know but I just wanted to see you sing. You know I love to watch."

"I also know it's a drag getting you to wake up in the morning," her mother retorts.

Audrey clasped her hands together, begging. "Mom, please. I practically bribed Grandma to let down here."

"Yeah, okay, well, you've seen me sing, time to get back to homework."

Audrey groaned, getting out of her seat. "Mom!"

"Go," her mother turns her around and takes her seat. "And tell your grandmother we will have a talk about these bribes."

"Nice meeting you, Scott," a pouting Audrey waved to him.

Scott smiled, waving back. You too, Audrey."

All while her mother was checking out the handsome stranger.

"Smart girl," he complimented.

"To smart for her own good," the mother shook her head.

Scott smiled, and her heart leaped.

He held out a hand, "I'm-"

"Scott," she shook his hand, taking in his features.

She loved his eyes. They were almost translucent, glossy, like the palest blue glass, too soft to be turquoise, too bright to be baby blue. They were amazingly breathing taking.

"I'm Ivy," she introduced herself.

"Well, Ivy, you're an amazing singer."

Ivy looks away, blushing. She hated being complimented at times. She was just doing what she loved, and sometimes she forgets how her gift influenced and affected people.

"Thank you," she looks back at Scott. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I've never seen you around here."

"Yeah, Audrey said the same thing. Apparently, white, rich guys don't come to the club very often."

Ivy chuckled - that sounded just like her fifteen-year-old daughter.

"True, but all are welcome at Issac's Blues. It's a place where music is for anyone and everything."

Scott looks around, rubbing his chin in thought. "Perfect slogan for a place like this."

Ivy nods, noticing the wedding band on his ring finger. "Are you waiting for your wife?"

"My wife?" Scott frowned as if he didn't know who she was talking about. Like he didn't have a wife at all.

"Your ring," she pointed.

"Oh," Scott looked at his finger disappointedly, "that."

His thoughts were going all over the place.

"Complicated story?" Ivy questioned curiously.

"Yes," He answered unsurely. He cleared his throat, trying to sound more confident. "Very complicated."

"It's okay. I get it," Ivy looks at her bare ring finger. "It took me a while to take off the ring of my ex-husband. Try explaining that one to everyone."

"Divorced?"

"He died," Ivy sighed sadly and looked up at him. "You?"

Scott paused for a moment before speaking.