Thirty-One |Part Three

"For Life"

Kyle was startled awake by the wailing of his newborn baby girl. He cautiously clutched her to his bare chest as he sat up on the couch. Her distraught blue eyes squinted closed as she signaled her to need to eat.

When she quieted down to suck in a breath, Kyle could hear the shower running and then turn off.

"Mommy's on her way," he stood and paced around the living room, patting her back softly. It helped her stop crying, but she continued to fuss as she flailed her small limbs.

Since her arrival a week ago, Kyle had been staying at Ayanna's. He couldn't do much since she was the baby's food supply, but he still wanted to be there. He burped her, changed her diaper, and even stayed up in the middle of the night with Ayanna.

Despite her birth being a surprise, Kyle didn't want a miss a second of being with the baby. He wasn't sure what being a father entailed, but he already found himself attached to his daughter.

Considering she was unplanned, they also didn't have a name for her - yet.

"I bring the milk," Ayanna announced, emerging from her bedroom in a robe.

"I bring the baby," Kyle joked, giving her the newborn.

Ayanna sat down on the couch, and the week-old infant latched and was in a quiet in a matter of seconds.

After putting on his shirt, Kyle sits beside them. He found himself in awe as he watched the two with a massive grin on his face.

Since having the baby, somehow Ayanna was more beautiful; she was glowing.

Lately, Kyle found himself staring at her, especially when she was taking care of the baby. Their new reality is how he always dreamed their future would end up, aside from the not being married part, of course.

Now that it had happened, there was so much they needed to discuss. Like Kyle's girlfriend, Sydney, and the guy Ayanna had been seeing, David. Neither of them had been answering the many calls of their beaus; they didn't know what to say.

Then there was the living situation, providing for the baby - the list of what to figure out was long, and they didn't even have a name for their child.

"So, you ready for dinner tonight?" Ayanna pulls him out of his racing thoughts.

"I guess," he shrugged, tiredly.

"In other words, no," Ayanna sighs. "Don't worry, me either."

Tonight they would be having dinner with their parents. Their fathers were going to meet the baby for the first time too.

One of the many things that they had in common was their no-nonsense strict fathers. Being responsible wasn't a suggestion. It was an obligation, the key to a good life.

Their fathers weren't just coming to meet the baby. They were coming to make sure they did right by the child.

Safe to say, the night would be intense, and neither was ready for it.

Kyle checks the time on his phone, "I'm gonna go to my place, take a shower and get some clothes," he stands.

"Wait," Ayanna stops him. "Maybe we should have a game plan before tonight. I don't know about you, but I don't want to increase our fathers' disappointment."

"Right," Kyle moved to sit down when the doorbell rang. "You expecting someone?" he goes to answer it.

A frowning Ayanna stands up, briefly looking at the baby. "No . . . maybe our parents came early?"