Nineteen

"Against the Odds"

Life changed in a flash.

One moment Rose McNeil was a fresh eight-teen-year-old with a full scholarship to college, great parents, and a loving boyfriend. Her life was going well, she was on top of the world, and all that she had planned turned into what-ifs by three positive pregnancy tests.

Three.

All positive.

Now she was worried about what her parents would say, if her boyfriend would break up with her and if college was worth pursuing?

Could she be a student and a mom?

Could she even be a mother at all?

Abortion wasn't a part of her back-up plan, but did she have the guts to give her baby away for adoption?

Only three months of no longer being a virgin, and she ends up pregnant?

Rose couldn't help but think her luck was horrible, and suddenly the world was out to get her.

She kept the secret for three days, crying herself to sleep about the possible outcomes of her life now.

Keeping it to herself wasn't going to get her anywhere, however. She had to tell someone, most importantly, her parents and her boyfriend, Jonah.

Rose decided it would be best to tell Jonah and his parents first. She knew wholeheartedly that their reaction would be ten times better than her conservative parents.

Rose's parents believed that her relationship with Jonah was just a phase, so learning that she was having his baby was like telling them she would die.

Rose's parents didn't like Jonah from the start. While they were conservative, Jonah had a laid back hippie upbringing. His parents were free spirits, weed heads, vegetarians, open-minded, not all confined by society morals - the complete opposite of Rose's parents.

Jonah wasn't exactly like his parents. He wasn't into weed and definetly loved himself a burger. Still, he wasn't conservative enough for Rose's parents.

He was twenty years old and not in college, nor was he planning to go. Jonah was the lead guitarist in an indie band who played locally all-around town.

Music was his life and not considered a real job to Rose's father.

He hated that Jonah was laid back and lived life freely without plans or real goals.

He hated everything that Rose loved about him.

Jonah was the opposite of her. From her upbringing, she could be uptight, anxious, always feeling the need to plan everything out and control things that she couldn't.

Jonah taught her how to have fun and live in the moment.

When she was with his parents, Rose could just be and relax, and she liked that.

That's why she was so afraid of telling them the news. It could ruin their relationship if Jonah wanted nothing to do with her or the baby. Jonah was the first man she's ever loved, and though Rose was so young, she believed they had a future together.

But no matter her fears, she had to tell him sooner rather than later.

Luckily, she had already planned to go over to his apartment Saturday night to have dinner with him and his parents.

Rose was so nervous the entire time that she wasn't acting like herself.

She sat quietly next to Jonah at the dinner table, his parents sitting across from them.