Ch. 16

Saturday morning Ruby was having a melt down. Her favourite chef that she hired to cater for Daniel's birthday party called in sick. The party was in the evening and everything was turning into a disaster. First Daniel didn't want to invite more than 30 people, he didn't want to call the press, he didn't like her idea to have as dress code the Met Gala and now this.

'It will be a mess, people will laugh at us. They will say we have problems with the money, Daniel. Jean-Claude is the best in town and everyone want him, they will leave when they will not see him' Ruby complained. Daniel was trying to enjoy his breakfast, but Ruby was going on and on about the party. Everything was about the image for her.

'Ruby, calm down. We have invited close friends and some employees that are decent people and I don't think they will care too much if some French cook can make it or not.'

'You don't get it. You don't even see the efforts I put into organising your party. I can' t order food and wait for them to show up.'

'Maria will cook, she is an excellent cook and I am sure that Ivy will be very happy to help her too.'

'Ivy?'

'Yes, she is passionate about cooking. Actually I will go and talk with them right now.' Daniel found Maria and Ivy in the kitchen, they were both thrilled about the opportunity.

'I think we should have an Italian night.' Ivy said and Daniel smiled. 'I know you love it and it is your birthday. We can make mini pizza, have a wine and cheese corner, we can serve cannoli for dessert and panna cotta.'

'Oh Mr. Wells, what did you do to her, you released her wild side.' Maria said and they all laughed.

'Thank you girls, everything you want to do will be perfect, don't worry. Do you need help with anything?'

'We need to go shopping, Ivy can you make the list while I go change?' Maria asked

'Sure.'

After a while Ruby went to the kitchen to find Daniel. He was enjoying a warm sandwich while Ivy was working on the shopping list.

'Oh God! How can you eat something like that?' and she kept a disgusted face. 'Anyway, you can poison yourself with food, did you solve the problem?'

'Yes, Ivy and Maria will cook tonight.'

'It will be a disaster, but I don't want to stress now, I have a massage scheduled.'

'Oh, right, you have to call a taxi to take you. Franco is taking the girls to buy everything they need for tonight.' Daniel informed her.

'What? They can take the taxi, Franco wil drive me to my massage.'

'Ruby, I don't want to argue with you now. Franco must help the girls. He is the family driver, not your personal driver.'

'But you know that I can't take a taxi. What will happen if some paparazzi follows me? It will ruin my image!'

'Franco is going with the girls and that is final. You can stay home, I don't care.' Ruby ran from the kitchen and Ivy looked puzzled at Daniel.

'I told you it is impossible to stay with her.'

'I think that you are having fun when you mess with her like that.'

'Guilty. I have to go and work from the office for a while, will you be ok?'

'Yes, I have a dinner to prepare, don't waste my time Mr. Wells.'

'So funny.' and he sent her a kiss.

Ivy was thrilled that she received the opportunity to cook for so many people, but she loved to idea that Daniel trusted her. She knew that he didn't want to celebrate his birthday, so she suggested to have Italian, maybe it would make him feel better.