Ch.3

At 5 p.m. Ivy woke up and had a shower before leaving to work. She knew she was going to have a long night. It was a football game and usually the bar was crowded on nights like that. She decided to skip dinner to avoid her mother. Ivy was just about to leave from the apartment when she saw her mother sitting at the kitchen table with many papers. She was writing something and kept smiling. Ivy didn't want to find out what she was doing, probably another business idea that was going to make her a billionaire over night, so she left as fast as she could.

She had one more hour to get to work so she decided to get a coffee and something to eat from the local coffee shop. She entered the coffee shop and Brian was there, their eyes met and they smiled. He made her a sign to have a seat and he started to prepare her coffee. Brian was a brilliant barista, she didn't know she why he was still working in a small place with all his talent.

Brian finished her coffee and brought it at her table with a chocolate croissant. He knew what coffee Ivy loved, normal coffee, without sugar and a lot of soy milk. He did a daisy from foam and served it to Ivy

'Thank you Brian, can you make it double?'

'Wow, long day?'

'You have no idea' she smiled and took a sip from her coffee. Brian sat at the table and asked her about her work

'What are you doing Friday night?' he asked after a while

'Working again...'

'You work a lot these days; you need to relax a bit. I have a friend that is having a barbecue at his house, I was thinking we can go together.'

'Thank you for inviting me, but I have to go to work and besides I don't know your friends, wouldn't be weird to bring one of you customers to your friends' house?'

'Ivy, you are not only a customer here, we see each other daily, I think we can say we are friends. Please come with me, they are all couples and I don't want to be the third wheel there.'

'I will think about it and talk with Amelia and see if she can cover my shift.' And Brian smiled. He was 25 years old, tall with fawn hair, it was a bit curly but he kept it short, he had beautiful brown eyes and a smile that made a lot of girls visit the coffee shop.

'I have to go, I have customers waiting for me.' He said looking behind him, Ivy raised her head to see the customers waiting at the counter and laughed. There were two teenage girls and looked like they did and effort to dress all fancy.

'I can see, have fun with them'

'You are my only friend Ivy' he said her name in a different way, a way that made her blush and left her alone. She finished her croissant and left to work. She enjoyed the idea to go out and have some fun, it had been a long time since the last time she went out with her friends. She decided to call Amelia and check with her if she can help her

'Sorry girl, but I have a date Friday night, next week I can help you'

'Don't worry, I am sure Brian will not mind going alone.'

'Wait, Brian who? Going where?'

'Brian, the guy from the coffee shop next to my building, he invited me to a barbecue because he didn't want to be alone.'

'Why didn't you say this from the start? Of course that I will cover for you! You finally have a date!'

'It's not a date Am'

'It's the first meeting for the first date, it's the same. What are you going to wear?'

'Really? This is the last thing I have on my mind, anyways I have some nice jeans and a new t-shirt'

'Boring, that it is what you wear every day. We have to go shopping.'

'I have to go now, we will see about this, I don't have a lot of money now.'

'Don't worry, we will figure this out and you will look stunning on your date Friday'

'It's not a da...'

'Can't hear you, bye!' and Amelia hang up. Ivy smiled looking at her phone. Was it really a date? She had to survive 3 more days of work to find out. She couldn't wait.

The next morning Ivy was sleeping after a very long shift at bar. She got home around 4 a.m., but she had the whole day to rest before going to her other job at the mall. It was 7.30 am when her mother woke her up.

'Get up, be ready in 15 minutes.' She said coldly

'What do you want?' she asked refusing to open her eyes and facing her angry mother

'Don't be rude, I am the only one thinking about your future. Now get up, we have a doctor appointment to attend.'

'What doctor appointment?'

'To see if you are healthy and ready to have a baby!' Ivy got up on her feet, she looked at Rosalie with shock, her mother went crazy with this entire surrogacy thing.

'Mother, I will not be a surrogate' Rosalie couldn't stand her anymore and she slapped Ivy really hard. She slapped her again and again hitting her until she calmed down.

'Now, be a good girl and listen to me. Take a cold shower and be ready in 10 minutes. And use some foundation to cover that ugly face.' She left Ivy's room laughing while Ivy tried to get up from the floor.