Ch. 5

Two days later Ivy was trying to forget about all the incidents of that week. A small bruise formed on her cheek and she also had a scratch under her left eye. She convinced herself that she couldn't be chosen to be a surrogate, there were too many girls, plus she was a virgin. How could they trust someone who never tried to have a baby to carry one?

She was determinate to try and save more money in the future, she wanted to move from the apartment she was sharing with her mother, after all she couldn't let her dictate her own life.

Now she was just worried how the barbeque with Brian would go. Amelia met her earlier and gave her a pair of blue short jeans and a black silk top, it was a simple outfit, but she felt good when she tried the clothes. Amelia also gave her a pair of black wedges and told her to curl in soft waves her hair. It took her more time than she thought but she was happy with the result. She hated that she had to put foundation on her face, she usually was using only mascara. Amelia told her to use a red lipstick, but she didn't use lipstick at all, she wanted to enjoy the food and not to worry if her lipstick was all over her face.

Before leaving she checked herself in the mirror one last time, she hoped it wasn't too much. She had a last-minute decision to put a cardigan on. Now she felt ready to leave. She didn't tell her mother she was going out so she had to sneak-out.

Ivy and Brian decided to meet at the coffee shop, when she entered Brian was sitting at one of the tables enjoying a Coke. It was weird to see him like that and not behind the counter preparing the best coffee. He smiled and waved to her.

'Hi' she said shyly and Brian got up to kiss her cheek and gave her a faint hug.

'Ivy, you look beautiful.'

'Thank you' she smiled back.

'We have half a hour before we need to go to my friend's house, would you like a drink?'

'Sure, I can never say no to a Coke'. Brian smiled to her and went to the bar to get her the drink.

They talked and discovered they had many things in common. Brian didn't have enough money to go to a college so he found a job at the coffee shop. His initial plan was to work for one year, but it was his 5th year there. He felt too old to go to college and he couldn't imagine himself doing anything else. Ivy knew he was lucky, he loved his job, while she hated hers. He also loved to read and watch cartoons from time to time.

An hour later they arrived to Tom's house, one of Brian's friends. Tom was married to Annie, a beautiful girl that made Ivy feel welcomed right away. Another couple, Matt and Jessica was joining them. The girls took Ivy in the kitchen and they prepared a big Greek salad and some baked garlic-potatoes, while the boys took care of the barbeque. Annie asked Ivy if she could take the beers to the guys. When she gave them the beers Brian kissed her cheek and she smiled:

'Thank you beautiful' he said to her.

When Ivy returned to the kitchen she couldn't hold back her smile, she tried to make a serious face but she remembered his lips on her skin. It wasn't the feeling that she was reading about in her books. She laughed at herself for believing something like that "people don't feel sparkles, butterflies or any kind of animals, wake up silly girl" she could hear her mother's voice, but at that time it was a good feeling to know someone was nice with her.

'What are you smiling at?' Jessica asked her

'Nothing'

'That smile of yours isn't nothing'

'It's Brian, he makes me feel good...special' she confessed. Both girls let out a loud awww

'I can remember my first date with Tom, he made me feel really special' Annie said and Jessica laughed

'Yes, special is the new word for having sex 3 times on your first date?' They both laughed and made Ivy laugh too. She wasn't comfortable to talk about that subject but these girls had a way to make her feel well and to make her laugh.

'Did you meet in a bed?' She asked Annie while laughing

'Well no, the first time we did it in a restaurant bathroom and they kicked us out after and the second time'

'Ok ok, too much information for me' Ivy laughed while covering her ears.

'What is up with all this noise?' Tom asked while he entered the kitchen with the others.

'Your wife was telling Ivy about your first date'

'I'm so sorry baby, I forgot to tell Annie to behave' Brian said and he wrapped his arms around Ivy.

'Don't worry, I like her.'

'Aww darling, I like you too' Annie said and took Ivy from Brian's hands to hug her. 'I can't wait to have you back here next Friday.'

'Ok, enough with all this romance, we are hungry' Tom said and they all laughed.

Ivy and Brian enjoyed the dinner with their friends and after played cards. It was 2:00 a.m. when they decided to leave. Annie told them to wait for her. She hurried upstairs and came back with a condom.

'Sorry Brian, I don't know your size but better have one in case you know...' they both looked shocked at her while the others couldn't breathe from so much laughter. They said their goodbye and left.

Brian drove Ivy home and they were sitting in his car

'I am sorry for Annie, I warned her to be nice'

'Don't worry Brian, I really like her. She is a free woman.'

'So you liked only her.'

'Jessica was also nice'

'Right..Jessica' he pouted.

'But I like you the most.' Ivy said and leaned to kiss his cheek but Brian turned and her lips met his. He was gentle, almost afraid to give her more

.
'Let's meet again, only the two of us.'

'I would love that. Thank you for tonight Brian.'

'Good night beautiful.'