Ch. 4

It was Ivy's first time seeing a gynaecologist. She always imagined her first visit there different and for another purpose. She was dressed in a white gown sitting on the consultation table and her mother was sitting next to her, waiting for the doctor to see her. The nurse didn't want to allow her mother to be part of the consultation as it was private, but she insisted saying that Ivy was shy and she asked her to be next to her. She was playing the perfect mother role. Ivy face was also helping, even wearing foundation she could still help her face burning and she could only imagine how red it looked like.

First a nurse entered in the room and took some blood from Ivy for different tests. She had to complete a questionnaire regarding her sex life, but it was easy for her. After a while a female doctor came inside, she was holding Ivy's questionnaire and asked her:

'Miss Smith, I see that you are still a virgin, are you sure you want to do this? You are young and I think you should wait and experience a normal relationship before having a baby for another family. I know the amount of money is very tempting, but I don't want you to regret it. Caring a child is not easy and it can be an emotional journey for every female'

'She really wants to do this, doctor' Rosalie said before Ivy could open her mouth. Ivy was happy that someone understood her, the doctor had no idea how much Ivy needed help, she kept looking for a way to ask for her help without Rosalie noticing it, while Rosalie continued with her nonsense conversation. 'My daughter wants to offer her help for this poor family, we feel so sorry that they can't have a child, so my child here wants to help them. I am so proud of her.' Rosalie continued. Ivy was sick only hearing her mother. 'Ivy wanted to keep herself for marriage and she doesn't have a boyfriend now.'

'I see' dr. Kent said. 'Can I have a word with Ivy in private?'

'She is very shy, she asked me not to leave her alone.' Dr. Kent looked at Ivy and she just nodded, she was afraid to say something else. The doctor gave up and continued to consult Ivy. In the end she announced her that she was healthy and ready to have a baby. The doctor completed a form and send it to the Erika's office.

'My part here is done. For me you are a very good candidate, you are young, healthy and your fertile time will be next week. For the next part of the procedure we will talk on a future visit if you will be chosen.'

'Thank you' Ivy said and she smiled. She was happy to hear that there was a chance not to be chosen. Rosalie, on the other hand was not happy at all.

'How many candidates are?'

'I have seen around 50 girls these days, but there could be more'

'You said that my daughter is perfect, can't you talk with them to take my daughter?'

'I said that your daughter is a good candidate, not a perfect one. The perfect one will be established by the family. I did my job. Now if you excuse me I have other girls waiting.' Dr. Kent took her files and left the room. It was a big tension, Ivy was afraid to say something, not sure how her mother will react.

'Get your clothes and let's go.' Rosalie said.

Erika was sitting in Daniel's studio with the couple. It had been the third day since their announcement was published and they already received more than 1000 applications. Most of them didn't fit their requirements, she didn't believe that women in their 40s wanted to be the surrogate for Ruby and Daniel, they mentioned that the woman shouldn't be older than 24 years old. After eliminating the ones that didn't fit in the required age there still remained 400 applications.

'We have 400 candidates now, how can we choose?' She asked the couple

'I don't care, just pick 5 of them.' Ruby said and continued to check her phone.

'All these 400 girls are good for this Ruby.' She liked working for Ruby because she was easy to fool and gave her a lot of money, but sometimes the head-aches she got after spending time with Ruby could beat her bank account.
Ruby got bored and she was in a hurry, she had to go shopping and Erika insisted for them to meet up and waste her time. She decided to save some time and went to the desk that was covered with papers and she started to choose 5 of them.

'Problem solved' she said and gave Erika the files. 'Now you can burn the rest of them. And tomorrow I want to meet these girls.' Daniel and Erika looked shocked at the blonde woman.

'Can I go now? Franco is waiting for me outside.'

'I have to leave too.' Erika announced.

'I want to talk with you about something first.' Daniel told her and Ruby made her way outside. Daniel knew that Erika was always avoiding him.

'How could you do this? I told you to let me know every time that Ruby plans to do something stupid, because it is very stupid what she did. Not to say about that interview, it was full of lies. Ruby doesn't have any health problems and we haven't tried for years to become parents. A good journalist can check everything.'

'No one will check this Daniel.'

'You know that this can affect my company, people can stop buying from me anytime.'

'Don't worry Daniel, we have a good lawyer if anyone wants to publish something about it. And I couldn't let you know, Ruby insisted to surprise you and we wrote it together.

'Erika...this woman is driving me crazy.'

'I know, have a little patience, when you will have a child you can focus your attention on it and ignore Ruby.'

'As it was that simple. You better take care of it,I don't want to give more interviews, nor Ruby. She already knows this.' Erika nodded and she left Daniel alone in his office. His head was spinning and she went outside to calm down. His favourite place in his enormous house was the back terrace with the swimming pool, he always went there to calm himself. The thought of having a child appeared in the last year when he started to feel lonely, but Ruby refused to ruin her body. He was sure he didn't love her before but after she shared her thoughts with him he couldn't look at her with the same eyes and eventually they drifted apart. Lately they started to sleep in separate rooms and he realized he was happier like that. Maybe a child could help him have the family he dreamed about.