Ch. 13

Sunday morning at 10 am Ivy heard a faint knock on her door. She went to open it and she discovered a baloon floating with a note. She took the note and read it:

Get dressed and follow the candy path. I will be waiting for you.
P.S.: Don't forget it's windy today.
P.S.2 : Don't waste too much time eating all the candies.
P.S.3: Can't wait to see you!
P.S.4: Prepare to smile all day!
P.S.5: Hurry up!

Ivy brought the baloon and note in her room, changed quickly into a pair of jeans and a light sweater. After she rushed outside her room and followed the candy path, which led her to a smilling Daniel standing in front of his car with the door opened for her.

'What is going on?'

'Get in and you will find out.'

'Oh, you are misterious today.' They both got inside the car and Daniel started driving.

'Something like that.' She looked at the back seat and saw a picnic basket and a blanket.

Shortly they arrived at the beach and after Daniel parked the car, Ivy gave him a kiss on the cheek.

'If this is my reward now, I can't wait to see what you have for me at the end of the day. I hope you don't mind, but we have to walk on the beach for a few minutes, I know a secret spot where people can't see us.'

'It's ok, show me the way.' After 15 minutes they found the spot Daniel knew. They arranged the blanket and Daniel opened the picnic basket. He asked Maria to prepare them some sandwiches and for dessert they enjoyed Ivy's candies.

'You are so lucky I shared them with you.'

'You are lucky I shared my secret place with you. Don't show it to anyone, I want to be our place now.'

'Sure, when you said ours did you reffer to your wife also?'

'Ivy, don't be like this. If this is your way to ask if she has been here before, then no, she hadn't.' Ivy knew that she exaggerated, but she couldn't help but remember his status.

'I'm sorry.' She took his hand into hers and Daniel kissed it.

'It's ok, I know you are confused, I hope that one day you will understand me. I wanted to ask you about your mother.'

'It's not much to say, she has been like this since I was little. She never liked me, she once said that my father left her alone because of me but she didn't give me other details.' Ivy kept telling him everything, why she didn't go to college, why she had two jobs.

'I hope you don't change your mind and help her again. I know she is your mother, but you don't need people like her in your life.'

'I know. It was the best thing I did leaving home. I feel free, I feel like I was no one, I didn't even know what my passions were. I was focused only to go to work and to please her, I hated when she started screaming.' Daniel hugged her and played with her hair.

They walked on the beach a little more and after they returned to their blanket to lay down. Daniel had to ask her if she really wanted to have a child.

'Ivy, I need you to be honest with me' and Daniel grabbed Ivy's hand. 'Now that I know that your mother forced you to accept all the surrogate thing I can't help but wonder if you really want to do this.'

'I think it is too late to have regrets now. I didn't like the idea to sell my body like this, but meeting you made me change my mind. It is true that this wasn't my vision about pregnancy, but I am sure that you will be great father.'

'You know that the doctor said it usually needs 2 or 3 times for the procedure to be successful and we can stop everything if the result is negative.'

'Are you changing your mind about having a child?'

'No, Ivy, I really want a child, but now I just wish things were different. I want you to be mine, I want you to get pregnant like normal couples do.'

'Daniel, you are married. Plus, I think it is too late to change your mind.'

'What do you mean?'

'I didn't want to tell the doctor first, but my period has been late for a few days now...so I guess I am pregnant, but we have to wait for the confirmation tomorrow.' Daniel got up, picked Ivy in his arms and whirled her, making her laugh. He stopped and kissed her lips, but Ivy quickly stopped the kiss.

'Don't do this to me Ivy, let me be happy. I need it, I need you. You are my happiness now, you are my normality, my beautiful Ivy.'

'I don't want to hurt you, but you are confusing me, you tell me all these sweet things, we both want more, but you are married and always tell me it's a long story. I am not blind Daniel, I can see how vile Ruby is, you are nothing like her, yet she is your wife.'

'I don't want to ruin our moment with my story.'

'I think it's already ruined. This is your chance to tell me everything, otherwhise we will have nothing.'

'I will tell you everything, let's have a seat.' They sat down and Daniel hugged Ivy from behind, both looking at the ocean.

'Remember when I told you about the guy that I helped with his computer?'

'Yes.'

'He was Ruby's father, he passed away shortly after I married his daughter. He was a great man, a great friend. I was visiting him all the time, his wife was also lovely, she made us delicious dinners and was very kind. Ruby on the other hand was a teenager when I first met her. She was very popular because of her looks, but she had an obsession with me. She was always asking me for help with her homeworks and trust me she put me in some awkward situations.' Ivy giggled and Daniel also laughed.

'Yeah...she was difficult. I never liked her, but I was never interested in love. I was so blind at that time, I wanted to make money, I wanted my product to be in the whole world. Time passed and she gratuated, she made it clear to me that she also wanted money, that she wanted to work hard to become someone and so on. Soon after this her father was diagnosed with cancer, he wanted to see his daughter married before passing away so in 3 weeks we got married and I promised him that I would always take care of her.'