19. Secret Santa

I ran towards Daniel when my foot caught in something and I lost my balance. Daniel’s eyes widened, and he opened his arms to catch me.

I crashed with his chest so hard that he stumbled back and his foot slip from the edge making us fall.

Am I going to die like this seriously?!

Daniel fell with me on top of him. As we landed, he let out a pained groan.

Shit, that must have hurt. I got up from him and inspect him for any injuries.

“Shit! Daniel, you okay?” I screamed.

“I’m fine.” He groaned. “Shit! That hurt like bit*h.” He muttered.

“You didn’t break anything, did you?” Tears built in my eyes.

“No. I think I got lucky because of the snow.” He grunted.

I looked up to see the edge from where we fall; it was pretty high and if it wasn’t for the snow, he definitely would have broken his back.

I looked down at the ground, taking some snow in my hand. I always used to hate it because it caused so much trouble, but it was the snow that saved us today.

Ironic right?

I burst out crying. “Hey don’t cry, see I’m okay,” Daniel said sitting up straight wincing but still smiled.

F**k!

I clung to him tightly and whimpered. “I’m sorry. I was such a bit*h and left you like that without asking for an explanation. I’m sorry, I ignored your calls and made you worried. I’m so sorry for my stupidity and for hurting you. God Daniel, I love you so much, please don’t leave me!” I sobbed.

He hugged me, rubbing my back. “I’m not going anywhere.” He whispered, kissing the side of my head.

I heard barks from above. [You two scared the shit out of me! You are crazy Tori; you know that!]

I chuckled lightly and snuggled into Daniel. “I know.”

*~*~*~*~*

We were sitting in Daniel’s car going towards my house. After my stupid act and our fall, we went to Daniel’s car. I helped him sat on the passenger seat and drove the car towards the town.

“Should I be afraid that you are driving my car?” He cautiously asked.

“I saved a deer’s life once,” I smirked.

“Of course you did.” He teased.

It feels like Deja vu, but the roles are reversed.

We fell in silence, but a question popped into my head. “How did you know I’d be here?”

“You used to come here every Christmas Eve.” He said as a matter of fact.

“How did you know that?” I gawked.

He opened his glove box and got something out. It was wrapped with Christmas gift paper.

“I was going to give you this in the morning...” He side glanced at me, “... but I guess now is a good time too.”

He unwrapped it for me and I saw a beautiful necklace and my favorite chocolate.

The same chocolate I found in the cave.

My jaw dropped, which made him laugh. “I know this is your favorite chocolate.” He continued.

“After we meet that night at our house, it was like you were everywhere. Where ever I look I saw you there.” He peered at me. “Same year on Christmas Eve, I was at the store buying these chocolates to give you as a Christmas gift when I saw you walking past it and followed you. You obliviously kept walking, never realizing that you were being followed...” he narrowed his eyes at me, “... which by the way is very dangerous, and then you went into that cave.”

I never thought someone would follow me.

“I saw you getting things ready like you were familiar with the place. I sat outside watching you...” his eyes lit up, “... and then you fall asleep.” He chuckled. “I was so confused that why you would come outside of town in freezing weather just to sleep, I went to check on you and you laid there peacefully sleeping.”

He took the chocolate out, “I knew you never liked Christmas, so I thought of being your Secret Santa and placed the chocolate beside you quietly.” He smiled at the memory. “The next day Alice kept gushing about the chocolate you got from Santa and saying you were thrilled, so I thought of doing it again. The next year on Christmas Eve, I did the same thing but after that, I went to college and couldn’t give it to you.”

I sat there driving and processing everything. Never in a million years had I thought it would be Daniel who gave me those chocolates.

“After graduating from college I came here but found that you have left for Hartford and you never came back. I was so shocked to see you on the road that night.” He paused, making me look at him, and saw him gazing at me. “It was fate that led us to each other.” He finished, his eyes sparkling.

Tears escape my eye, sliding down my cheek when he finished. He moved his hand to wipe it away.

“I don’t like it when you cry.” That made me cry even harder. I stopped the car and cried.

God, when did I become so emotional?

Mini sat in the back, staring at me. [Drama queen.] She barked, rolling her eyes.

I never knew things would change like this for me. I guess what they say is true then.

“Christmas is a miracle,” I whispered.

“I know.” He smiled.

“Thank you for everything Daniel.” I sniffed.

“That means I won.” He grinned.

“What?” I frowned.

“The deal.” My eyes went round in realization, and his grin widened.

“Fine. What do you want me to do?” I huffed, starting the car again.

“Be my girlfriend.” I slammed the brake, making us jolt forward.

“What?!” I screamed.

[Why are you trying to kill us, twat?!] Mini barked from behind.

“Remind me to never ask you anything while driving,” Daniel said, looking horrified.

I ignored them both and ask again. “What?”

He leaned back in his seat, smiling at me. “Be my girlfriend.”

*~*~*~*~*