17. Christmas Eve

I reached my house and went directly towards my room, ignoring Olivia’s calls. I packed my things for my way when I heard barks behind me.

[Where were you? Do you have any idea how worried I was? I thought you died.] Mini kept barking.

I put my bag down and crouch. “We are going to my secret place. Right. Now.”

I got up and picked my stuff, running downstairs when Olivia caught me.

“Tori where have you been, everyone was so worried about you-“ I cut her off.

“I need to go somewhere, Olivia.” I flatly said.

She grabbed my arm. “Where are you going? Your brothers are coming home, wait for them.”

“I can’t wait.”

“Okay. When will you be back?” She questioned.

“Tomorrow.”

“But it’s Christmas Eve!” She looked in disbelief.

“Let her go, Olivia.” My grandpa said from behind us.

“I thought you were going to spend this Christmas with us,” Grandma whispered sadly.

Olivia looked confused but said nothing. Letting go of my arm.

“I am not ready, grandma, not yet.” I pleaded.

They nodded and let me go. I’m sure Caleb will tell the details to Olivia later.

There were some messages from Alice and Daniel which I ignored. He kept calling me. Frustrated with him, I turned my phone off and kept walking.

What does he want now, didn’t he have enough from last night?!

[Where are we going?] Mini barked beside me.

“We are going to my cave.”

On my way, I saw people preparing for Christmas Eve. A group of people were singing Christmas songs. I ignored them and walked ahead. People were smiling and buying gifts, everyone looked happy.

Ugh! I hate this and now with a broken heart, it all looked torturing.

I went to a store to get some more stuff; I was in the food section getting chocolates when I saw a little kid struggling to get Ice cream on the top shelf and when he saw me watching he requested.

“Can you grab that for me, Miss? I can’t reach it.” He smiled.

So innocent.

“You want that ice cream so badly?” I questioned.

He bobbed his head, beaming. “Yes, I love it so much.” He exclaimed.

I bent down to his height and whispered. “When you love something so much and know it is out of your reach-“ he cocked his head, blinking at me. “-leave it before it hurts you.” I finished and left the kid standing there looking confused.

[You are mean.] Mini grunted.

“I save that kid from getting a heartache.”

I walked towards the counter and sighed in frustration when I saw the line. I stood there waiting for my turn when I heard my name called by a high-pitched voice.

“Tori.” I turned my head slowly and saw Samantha standing there. I narrowed my eyes at her.

“Hey, I thought it was you.” She gave me a fake smile. “How was your date last night?”