9. On our way

I woke up with someone tugging my pants.

“Go away.” I groaned, cuddling with something warm beside me.

Hm... So warm.

I felt the tug again, and Mini growled. [Get up weirdo! I’m hungry.]

“Get it yourself,” I mumbled, wrapping my legs around the warm body.

Wait... body?

I peeked through my one eye and saw that my head was on someone’s chest. I bent my head slowly and saw Daniel sleeping peacefully. His arm was wrapped around me my waist, I grinned and glanced at Mini.

[Someone’s happy.] She smirked.

I stuck my tongue at her and snuggle into Daniel again. You don’t get chances like this every day. It was still dark outside, and everything was silent. The storm must have ended.

I looked back at Daniel, he’s so handsome. I moved the hair on his forehead lightly and trace his jawline with my forefinger, it’s so sharp. His long lashes touching his cheeks, his mouth slightly open. I stared at his lips and swallow hard.

They are so pink and-

My thoughts were cut by the door, slammed open. I whirled my head and saw a black shadow and a shrill scream left my mouth, making Daniel jolt awake.

“Where’s Santa?!” He yelled looking around.

Huh?

Santa?

He was dreaming about Santa when he was cuddling with me?

F**k me.

I officially hate Santa’s now.

“I told you not to get my sheets dirty.” The big guy said, placing his bag on the floor.

Daniel and I, who were still wrapped around each other, jumped away like we burned each other or something.

“We were just sleeping.” Daniel yawned.

“Right.” The big guy scoffed.

“Where were you all night?” I asked the big guy, distracting him from the embarrassing topic.

“I was working.”

“In a storm?” I asked, tilting my head.

What kind of guy is he?

“Yes, in the storm, it’s my job.” He answered.

“What exactly do you do?” Daniel asked him.

“I’m a rescuer, I search in the storm for people who get lost or need any kind of help.” He explained.

Wow! That’s a really risky job.

“That’s dangerous,” I whispered.

He looked at me with a little soft expression this time. “But it’s worth it when you save someone.”

Why wasn’t anyone like him was there when my parents were stuck in a storm, they went there to save someone’s life but theirs was taken away; it wasn’t fair.

Daniel grabbed my hand and rubbed it with his thumb. I glanced at him and he gave me a reassuring smile that made my heart go thud.

“I got fuel for your car...” the big guy said pointing out of his window, “... and bought it here, so can leave now.” Someone’s in a hurry, “Your family must be worried about you.”

Oh shit! I totally forgot about that. I was supposed to be home in the evening. Caleb must be worried sick.

We thanked him for letting us stay. Daniel tried to pay him for the things but he didn’t move an inch, so we thanked him again and left for our town. Mini licked the guy’s face, thanking him for the food she ate.

*~*~*~*~*

Daniel and I talked about our childhood memories and different things on our way. The sun was rising. We were almost there when our phones started blaring with texts and calls. The signals must have come.

I saw hundreds of texts and calls from my brothers, they’re going to be angry.

I called Caleb and he picked after the second ring.

“Where the hell are you? Do you have any idea how worried sick I was?!” He yelled.

“I am alive, so take a chill pill, Caleb.” I joked.

“Shut up Tori, this isn’t funny!” He snapped.

I know he must have thought something might have happened to me, like our parents. I explained to him everything that happened and told him I was on my way with Daniel.

Speaking of Daniel, he was also on a call. I heard Alice’s voice screaming at him as my brother did to me.

We said our byes, and I cut the call, sighing in relief.

“Someone got scolded.” Daniel teased.

“Says the guy who was scolded by his little sister.” I retorted.

He made a grim face at which I laughed like an idiot, and after a while, he started laughing too.

[You humans are so weird.] Mini barked.

*~*~*~*~*

After thirty minutes we finally reached our destination, my small little town.

They decorated every house with lights, Santas, and reindeers. People in this town go overboard, at least in cities they just put on lights and trees, but here it’s another level which I hated.

“Here we are,” Daniel announced when we reached my Grandparents’ house.

It’s been 6 years, the house looked the same just a little old, “Finally here,” I whispered. I looked at Daniel and smiled. “Thank you for dropping me here... and for everything else.”

He returned my smile. “Now you owe me.”

“What do you want now?” I squinted my eyes.

“Whatever you’re willing to give.” He said in a flirtatious way.

“I can kick your a**.” I sweetly smiled.

The grin faded from his face in an instant. “You’re no fun.”

“Oh yeah, I am. You can ask my suitors.” I blurted.

Daniel coughed and I faced palm myself.

Why the hell did I say that?!

[You go girl.] Mini mocked from the back seat.

“Um... I... a... thanks for everything bye.” I hurried and opened the door, bolting out of it when Daniel grabbed my wrist.

“Wait!” I paused and looked at him. “Remember our deal.” He reminded me.

What dea- Oh wait... the Christmas spirit deal.

“Sure. But when you fail, you will be my slave.” I gave him a lopsided grin.

If I fail and when I win, you’ll have to do something for me.” He smirked.

“What?” I asked, tilting my head.

“You’ll find out later.” He grinned and let go of my hand. “See you later, Tori.” With that, he took off while I stood there watching him leave.

“What does he want from me?” I muttered, glancing at Mini.

[Don’t look at me, girl.] Mini barked and went towards my house, wiggling her tail. I followed her.

Time will tell then.

*~*~*~*~*