CHAPTER 25

Apologies for going Awol, I was going through a lot. Thanks for your patience.

★»★«

LONDIWE

The drive to my home is really short right about now, I'm going to fetch my mother then I will drive to the hospital to fetch Nondumiso, and take them to the place of safety. News is out that the black chain gang have started with the attack, so I need to move them here before things start getting worse because once it does there will be no time to save them. Steven went to fetch his family too, now we must do things in a rush because we didn't except the attack to happen so soon, I thought that they were going to attack next year, guess I was wrong. And the truth is we are not ready for this at all, Steven was too busy chasing money than coming up with a solid plan, well, I can't really blame him because I'm no different like him. Mel's name flashes on the screen I wonder what does she want, the last time I spoke to her was when she told me that Billy raped her, and threatened her that if she tells anyone he will kill her, then kill her family, and of which I found the whole ludicrous. Mel is obsessed with Billy, fucking obsessed, and it's crazy.

“Hey Mel.”

“Hey Londz, want to go out for some lunch? And it's on me.” Is she being for real right now? Kanty doesn't she watch the news?

Me: “Go out for lunch? Are you fucking serious Mel?”

Her: “200 sweets.”

Me: “Have you been watching news for the past 2 days?”

Her: “News? Have you ever seen me watching news? I think the fuck not, I'm into fashion & gossip not news, and all that.”

Me: “Well, miss fashion & gossip our country is under attack, we are dying like flies.”

Her: “Excuse you? You know Londz if you don't want to go on a brunch with me then tell me no straight up, and don't come up with excuses that aren't there.”

Me: “I'm not making up excuses Mel, this is happening and if you don't trust me you can watch the news or visit YouTube, like Mel; you do know that I'm not one to turn down lunch invites if that person is paying.” I hear her sigh.

Her: “I know, but if you have plans with Steven you should tell me straight up. You can't be telling me about war/attacks we don't get to experience such here Mel. This is not Afghanistan sis. I have a remote on my hand Londz, and I'm switching on the TV now, which channel plays news again? I'm so clueless about these things you know,” I roll my eyes.

Me: “404 will surely help you Mel.”

Her: “You... Oh, my God Londz. What on earth is going on here? I need to leave Mel I can't die here, I really can't, I have a baby on the way.” She is panicking you can tell by the way her voice suddenly changing. Wait, did she just say a baby? Like she's pregnant? And she better not tell me that Billy is the father.

Me: “Are you pregnant?” I'm shocked.

Her: “Yeah, that's what I wanted to tell you over lunch, but now you know. Anyway, let me call Billy and tell him to come and fetch me before things get worse, he needs to keep us safe. Bye babe, and please be safe.” She hangs up before I can even respond to her.

“Bye.” I mutter to myself. Mel is pregnant? But how because she told me that she froze her eggs? Argh, it doesn't make sense but otherwise congratulations to her, and I hope Billy will change to be a better man now that he's going to be a father. Life ke Maths I strue.

I get home, and I find my mother sweeping the yard the neighbors are calling their kids to come inside the house, some are securing their houses. They are all living in fear now not knowing where they're going to run too, I mean the slayers gang and the black chain gang destroy everything in their path, they will throw bombs in all of these houses, and they will all die as families, this is sad maarn. I wish there was something to do to help them, but there's nothing I can do, I blink away the tears and step out of my car.