CHAPTER 40

ESETHU

After a long week of my mother together with my aunts busy arranging Londiwe's funeral, today it is safe to say that she's finally going to be laid to rest. Ray offered to pay for all expenses, and Billy together with his brothers helped too, I have a very vast family, and obviously, the Kansas's, Steven's family will be there to see their daughter-in-law off. My mother was a mess throughout the week, and Londiwe didn't even bother setting foot here, and to tell you the truth I don't blame her. That crazy Londiwe attempted killing her twice, but at least she survived on both occasions. I thought that Billy was going to be uncomfortable with the all questions my family hurled his way, or get tired by these uncles who asked him for money immediately I disappear on sight. Nxa.

“Ava! Bratva and the family are here,” he shouts from downstairs.

“I'm coming,” I know that he detests being kept waiting by me, and is tired of calling me every single time even though he won't admit it, but I can't help it, it's just who I am. I was never punctual with time even when I was growing up, and now I feel bad. Sighs. I get up from the dressing chair, and step out of the bedroom. And his family is really waiting for me. “Hi everyone, I'm sorry for keeping you guys waiting.”

Mikael: “It's okay, but can we leave already I loathe being late in ceremonies, especially funerals,” she's already walking out of the door and everyone follows after her.

I slouch my shoulders and hang my head low, Billy will be the one driving us since Ray stayed home making sure that everything goes well. I step inside the car, and lean my head on the window.

Billy: “Il mio amore, (my love) are you okay?”

Me: “Yeah, I'm fine. Just not looking forward to this day.”

Him: “You are lying amore. You do know that you can talk to me about anything right?” I nod. “Good, now tell me; what's eating you?”

Me: “Nothing il mio amore. It's just that I detest the fact that you will always have to call my name every time we leave the house.” He laughs shaking his head.

Him: “Il mio amore, I'll never get tired waiting for you no matter how long it takes, even if you still take 2 hours to get yourself ready I will still wait for you because I love you. Don't beat yourself about it, and pay no attention to Mikael. She's too good at timekeeping, she detests being late as she said. It's how she is ever since growing up, the very same way you are at not keeping time. You guys are just the same, stop worrying.”

Me: “Really?”

Him: “Yes, as long as I don't complain don't mind them.”

Me: “Thank you, I love you.”

Him: “I love you too, il mio amore.” His phone rings and it's Ray, he's been calling him non-stop since we left the house.

Me: “Just answer your father, Billy.”

Him: “Nah, he'll do just fine. I'm sure that he wants to ask how far are we.”

Me: “I guess.”

An hour later we are making our way inside the tent in the yard and all eyes are on us, and as per usual they start gossiping amongst themselves. I was not planning on sitting in the front, but Ray was at the gate waiting for us, and we had no choice but to follow behind him as he ushers us to the front. We settle down, I sit next to my mother who gets hold of my hand and squeezes it, I give her an assuring nod. I'm surprised not seeing tears in her eyes, but I'm happy that her face is finally dry after crying the whole week. The Kansas's are sitting behind us, and I'm not even surprised to see Steven with a younger woman who looks really smitten with him. He wastes no time, his day is coming. This shows that he never loved her.