CHAPTER 39

ESETHU

The neighborhood hasn't changed that much, it is still the same as I left it with endless potholes that were said they would've fixed 3 years ago, but ke you know government and empty promises. Anyway, after some thoroughly thinking I decided to come back home to ask for forgiveness from my mother and my ancestors for leaving the way I did. I'm not doing this for anyone, but myself and my two boys. Plus, I also want peace. Holding grudges will hinder my blessings from reaching me, it wasn't an easy decision to make as I kept on replaying all that they did to me, once I mastered the courage and accepted that I need to do this, I notified Billy this morning after weeks of contemplating about it. He was so happy shame. Passing the intersection I swear I saw Andile standing with the nyaope boys, not unless my eyes were deceiving me. I need to be sure.

“Urh-m, Ray, can you please drive back I think I saw someone familiar there by the intersection,” he nods and drives back.

“Who is that?” Billy implores.

Me: “Andile.”

Him: “Your ex-husband?”

Me: “No. Andile, someone I once knew but not anymore,” he laughs shaking his head. Ray parks right next to them, and I roll down the window, it's him. I can't help it, but laugh. Wow, who would've thought that one day the millionaire will be a nyaope boy? It's true when they say life is unpredictable.

“He's a druggie?” Ray inquiries.

Me: “Seems like it.”

Him: “Damn, life knocked him off real bad, Andile is such a disappointment. There's no coming back from this,” he whistles. “Next time he discerns you, he will be asking for R2,” we laugh.

Billy: “Want to go there and greet him?”

Me: “No, but I do want to let him know that I forgive him for all that he did to me even though I doubt that it will sink in.”

Him: “Go. At least you would've forgiven him,” I nod opening the door. I climb out and walk up to them, he's busy scratching himself and drooling too. I don't know whether he's awake or sleeping.

Me: “Sanibonani,” a few respond with slower than slower nods, and a few mumbles their greetings. To think that I went to school with some of them makes me feel ashamed, especially Thorn. He was very intelligent, and I was trailing behind him in terms of academics, I wonder what made him join this addictive lifestyle. “Andile.” He lifts his head slowly and glances at me, man doesn't even recognize me. Ey, life. “Andile, I don't know if whether you can hear me or what, but I forgive you. I forgive you for all the pain you've put me through, for humiliating me, I forgive you. I hold no grudge against you anymore, have a great life, goodbye.” Still, he's glaring at me, I shake my head turning around, and head back to the car.

Billy: “And?”

Me: “Lost cause, let's go.” Ray, shakes his head roaring the engine to life, and we take off.

Minutes later we are driving down my street, and there are cars parked streamline I wonder what's going on, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Monchumi's throwing their grandchild a party. Or maybe Kego is finally getting married, she's been engaged since I was still in high school by her long-term boyfriend Philani. They love showing off these ones, haha. I'm kidding... As we continue driving down further the street, and it is indeed the Monchumi's, and we are going right next door, hope there are no cars parked. Of course, there aren't. My mother hates cars that park at the entrance blocking the way. We pull up on the driveway, and there are few ladies sitting in the garage, having their bhevs.

Billy: “Are all these people your family members?”

Me: “No, they are chilling here because they had no place to sit next door.”