our last dance (2/3)

He woke up with a jolt. The sound of bullets firing at them again rang through his skull. He grits his teeth as he covered his ears.

He hoped that if he blocked everything out, maybe none of this was real. He desperately wanted to believe that everything going around him was only a nightmare and that he would wake up soon.

The man was proved wrong as the lieutenant began screaming orders to everyone. Ringo murmured a quick prayer before obliging to his orders. He hoped that whoever was above in the clouds answered his prayer.

His only reason for wanting to be alive was seeing her again. He longed for her delicate touch and her soft lips. He longed to hear her laughter erupt from her plump cherry lips; he wanted to get lost in her big bright eyes as he did every time their eyes met. The man was desperate to touch her where her heart was and wanted to tell her how much he loved her. He wanted to get on her knees and worship her and repeat her pretty name like a mantra.

Ringo needed her. 

In any other circumstance where she wasn't in his life, he would be pleading for death as everything around him was too horrific to accept.

Ringo wiped the dirt off his hands. He sighed as he got into position.

His actions were done unconsciously as he was too busy dreaming of her.

....

She gasped as she awoke from her slumber. Her fuzzy dreams had been replaced by her frightful nightmares and had terrified the young lady. Her hand landed on her swelling stomach. She sighed in relief.

She glanced at the empty side of her bed in dismay. Her growing baby may be with her, but her lover was nowhere to be found.

Her eyes welled up with tears. She desperately wanted to wake up next to him and wanted him to look over her as she focused her energy on their baby.

The woman pushed herself up into a sitting position. She unfastened her thin golden chain. The large ring rested in her palm. Her soft fingers ghosted over the cold metal.

It amazed her that only a few months ago, he and she were happy and carried no worry. Their lives changed with a snap of the universe's fingers. He was off in France fighting for the cause they didn't feel so passionately about while she was pregnant with his child waiting for him to come home.

They both knew it wouldn't be so favorable if she was pregnant while he was away with the chance of no return, but that night they were willing to give everything to each other. Not knowing if they would see each other again in this life, the couple demonstrated their undying love for each other. She could remember the tears of ecstasy and the tears of melancholy they shared that night as well as their hot feverish kisses and their salty gentle kisses.

They weren't ready to say goodbye that night.

She reached for the bedside table and opened the cabinet. The maiden retrieved the letters. Her lips quivered as she read each loving word. Her hands shook as she held the brittle paper. She always feared that every letter he sent maybe his last. Yet, she always received a letter after each one. It warmed her heart and eased her fear as she knew her prayers were being answered. Her fingers brushed against the ink. She would frown as she detected his depression. It was when he professed his love for her and wrote in little jokes into the letters that she would smile.

Tears streamed down her face with every letter she read. Her hands began to tremble violently until she reached a specific one. A quiet sob passed through her lips. In his latest letter, he had suggested some names for their baby. He wanted her to know what he would like to name their baby in case he couldn't tell her in the future. Her hand stroked her protruding belly. She quietly murmured the names he had suggested.

If they were a boy, he wouldn't mind naming him Norman or Louis.

If they were a girl, he liked the names Renée and Michelle.

There was no doubt in her mind that she would name their child Norman or Louis or Renée or Michelle.

She wiped away her salty tears and put the letters away. She clasped the necklace back around her neck.

The woman ripped out a page from her notebook and began writing him another letter. She always told him of what was going on in her isolated world to keep him up to date but that was not the point of the letter today.

She wanted him to know how much she missed him and how much she loved him. Her dainty handwriting filled the paper from one corner to the other. She hoped that he could feel her love for him through her words; that her words became a warm hug around his body and a sweet kiss on his lips.

She wanted him to come home.

....

I think that's so scary having to fight in a war and waiting for them to come home 🥺

I always wanted to make another part to the first imagine and since this is my book I do what I want 😌💓