peaches

The young lady strolled out of the kitchen and into the backyard. She swayed the small basket in the warm breeze. Her thin black dress danced in the wind. The blades of grass tickled her bare feet. She approached her peach tree standing proudly next to the tall wooden fence.

She stretched out her arm to harvest the soft sunset-colored peaches. The fruit boasted their beauty whilst hanging proudly from their branches. Most of the peaches were perfectly ripe and beautiful. She didn't know what she was going to do with so many peaches, but she wasn't going to let them go bad. The basket grew heavier and heavier. It tired her arms. Peaches would roll out of the basket from the grand amount of peaches already in the basket. She picked all the peaches hanging over her side of the grass. 

The peach tree also hung over her neighbor's yard whom she had seen before but never had a proper introduction. His work schedule was hectic, and he would disappear for several weeks before appearing again. She had only witnessed him wave at her from afar when they met eyes. She was aware of his fame and enjoyed his work with his band. She wanted to introduce herself, but she feared she would come off as just another fan when all she wanted to do was meet her neighbor. 

The lady saw the perfect peach hanging right over the fence. The forbidden fruit tempted her. She assumed the man wasn't home, as he rarely was, and decided to take the peach for herself. Y/N pulled one of her lawn chairs up to the fence and stepped up. She reached for the fruit and cupped it.

The tired drummer glanced out of his kitchen window as he washed the dishes. His eyes drifted towards the majestic peach tree. Well, part of the peach tree anyways. His neighbor's yard had most of the peach tree; he only had a small section of the thick branches and leaves. But he was fine with that. He wasn't home too often and thought it would be unfortunate if the tree was on his side and having to leave its fruit to perish. Ringo saw many ripe peaches from his window. 

He smiled and put the sponge down. He dried his hands and brought a bowl out to the yard with him. The flirtatious breeze tickled his bare chest. Ringo began harvesting the soft fruits. He spotted the perfect peach hanging right above the fence. His mouth watered for the fruit. It was plump and ripe and perfectly colored. He could already imagine its sweet juice run down his chin. He neared the fence and reached for the fruit.

His warm hand cupped the woman's soft fingers. She screamed and pulled her hand back. The poor woman was frightened and lost her balance. She fell off the chair and hit the ground. Her collected peaches rolled in the green grass. Y/N cursed as she caught her breath. She pushed her dress back down and sat up.

"Bloody hell!" he exclaimed. He had heard the whole debacle happen from his side of the fence. The man threw his bowl aside and peered over the fence. "Are you okay?" he asked. 

She looked up and meet his eyes. She quickly brushed her hair down and stood up.

"I'm okay. I'm sorry for alarming you," she blushed. She was embarrassed, of course. 

"No, ye don't have to apologize. It's my fault. I shouldn't have reached for the peach," he said. "I'm sorry for startling ye, Darling," he apologized. 

Butterflies crowded her stomach at the sweet nickname. 

"You don't need to apologize. How would have we known we were going to reach for the same peach at the same time?" she giggled. He chuckled.

"I don't know. Maybe we were finally just destined to meet," he winked. Her eyes widened. She had forgotten the fact that they have never met formally. 

"Well, I guess I should introduce myself," she smiled. The young lady stood back onto the chair and offered him her hand. "I'm Y/N L/N. It's lovely to finally meet you."