how to disappear

inspired by this beautiful song 💓

"Come on, Honey. Let's go outside," she cooed.

The bustling child came running out of the living room and towards the backyard. She carried one of the kittens with her. Her mother smiled lazily as she watched her daughter jump off the stoop and land on the green grass. The other kitten came running out of the house.

Y/N closed the door and sat down. Her elbows rested on her thighs as her hands cradled her tired face. Her eyelashes fluttered after every yawn. She dozed off.

"Mommy! Mommy! Come play with me!" Cassie exclaimed.

Her mother jerked up and glanced over. The girl was waiting patiently for her as she sat inside her battered little playhouse.

"I'm going, Cass," she murmured.

The lady pulled up the short stool and sat in front of the little window. Cassie was inside pretending to cook with her plastic cooking set. She acted as she had just seen her mother and marched to the window.

"Hi, Lady! What would you like? I have cake and chicken nuggets and pizza and eggs," she said. Her words were oblivious to her mother. Y/N was too busy staring into her eyes that heavily portrayed her father. Her eyes weren't blues, but they were clear as heaven like his. She always saw him in her shiny eyes, and she always recalled the faint memory of him. She was angry that his charm enchanted her, but she was thankful as it was his one-weekend love affair that brought her dear child into her life. Cassie frowned. She was confused about why her mother wouldn't answer her. "Mommy? Are you in there?" she mimicked.

Cassie knocked on her forehead the way her mother would knock her forehead when they were playing. Y/N blinked out of her trance and pulled back. Her daughter's knuckles were like pebbles being pelted at her head. She smiled and held her hand.

"Yes, I'm here. I just took a quick trip around the galaxy," she teased. Cassie gasped.

"Mommy, you forgot to take your helmet!" Y/N laughed.

"No, I didn't but I did forget to bring you," she winked. Cassie giggled. She snapped back into her chef role.

"Lady! What do you want to eat?" she demanded.

"Serve me your best dish," her mother challenged.

Cassie nodded and distracted herself in the tiny kitchen.

Y/N swooned over her. There was nobody more perfect than her daughter. She could still remember the day she found out about her pregnancy and the difficulties that arose as she tried to raise a child with no help. All of her pain was worth it once she finally met Cassie. She worked herself to a pulp, but it was all worth it when she saw her daughter smile.

Cassie put the kittens in her green bucket and covered it with a picture book. She struggled to set the heavy bucket on the counter, but she managed. She made sure the kittens were covered and presented it to her customer.

"Here is your food, Lady," she grinned. Cassie covered her mouth to suppress her giggles. Y/N smirked and suspiciously raised the cover. She gasped as she saw the dish. "Surprise! There's no food! Only kitties!" she squealed. Her mother laughed and pulled the whining kittens out of the bucket.

"But I'm so hungry! I just might eat these little kitties if my chef doesn't give me any food," she joked.

"No! Those are my kitties! I'll have your food out, Lady!" Cassie quickly whipped up a plateful of fake food. The cats jumped out of the lady's hands and wandered around the yard. The chef returned with food. "Ta-da! I made you a tomato with milk," she presented. Her mother giggled. "What? It's my signature dish."