distant (2/4)

Solana waddled alongside her mother as she held her warm hand. She would occasionally trip, but she was able to keep up with her mother. The toddler stopped walking as they turned the corner; she was too tired to continue. Her mother continued to guide her to the house.

"Ma!" she exclaimed.

She glanced down at her daughter. Solana batted her eyelashes and pouted. If there was anything Solana had mastered, it was the ability to garner attention and persuade people with her charm.

"What's wrong, Sol?" her mother murmured. The toddler hummed loudly. She signaled to her mother to pick her up. Her mother smiled. "You're tired aren't you, my love? I don't blame you," she picked her up. Solana looked down the street and watched as cars drove by. Her eyes wandered up the sky and curiously watched the clouds drift away. She was amazed by how the sky was losing its baby blue color and was slowly turning into a rich navy blue. She finally looked back down at her mother. "What's up, Solana?" The baby mumbled utter nonsense and chewed on her finger. Y/N pulled her finger out of her mouth. They continued to walk down the street. Solana mumbled endless nonsense as she lied her head on her mother's shoulder. She would occasionally play with her necklace and point at the cars passing by. Her mother only hugged her tightly against her body and gave her sweet kisses. They finally arrived at the familiar home. Solana recognized the house and grinned. She pushed her mother away. Y/N set her down on the sidewalk and giggled as she watched her daughter waddle towards the door. Solana climbed the steps and hit the door. She tried to reach for the doorknob but couldn't quite reach it. She whined and looked back at her mother for guidance. "Need help, Biscuit?" she giggled.

Solana whined. The woman picked up the toddler and helped her ring the doorbell.

Elsie grinned when she the pair.

"Solana! How I've missed ya!" she exclaimed. Elsie had seen her the day before. Solana matched her excitement and reached for her. Elsie spoiled the girl with endless kisses. She focused her attention on the young mother. "By heaven's sake, ya look beautiful, Y/N!" The woman blushed.

"Thank you, Elsie. I didn't dress down, did I?" She asked.

"For all I am aware, you'll be the prettiest girl there. Maybe you'll find a father for Solana," she winked. Y/N blushed again and looked away with a shy smile on her face. "But don't worry about your attire, Dear, it's like another teenage party, but it's just young adults clinging onto their good days." Y/N laughed.

"Elsie!"

"Did I lie to ya?"

"I guess not," Y/N shook her head as she giggled. "Alright, I should be heading over. Here are Sol's things. I should be back by eleven. Is that too late for you?"

"Y/N, ya could have the night off if ya want. I don't mind looking after this little biscuit," she smiled.

"I'll be back before midnight then," Y/N negotiated.

"Well, have a good time, Y/N. Solana and I will be just fine. Ritchie should have waited for ya. He only left a half an hour ago," Elsie said.

"Oh, no. That's fine. I'm sure he's busy. It's his birthday after all," she smiled.

"He would have made time for ya, Dear. He's always enchanted by ya when you're around. He'd do anything for ya," she winked.

The young woman's cheeks were now bright crimson. She compressed her feelings with a soft giggle.

"Okay, Elsie. Whatever you say. I should get going. Have a goodnight." Y/N kissed her daughter's cheek and squeezed her arm. "Be a good girl, Solana. I'll see you later. I love you," she whispered.