our last dance (1/3)

1939

The young man's hand trembled as he read the dreadful letter. His fear paralyzed him. He wasn't ready to give his life away for his country. He had so much to give to his love. He had so much he didn't want to give up.

Ringo tucked the crumbled letter into his pocket. He stumbled out of his house and raced down the street. His forehead was shiny with sweat. His blues eyes were possessed with anxiety. His feet tripped over every crack on the sidewalk. He needed his love. He needed her dainty fingers to run through his long hair. He needed to see her bright smile and her big eyes. Ringo craved her love more than ever. He knew she was the only one who could calm him down. He could already imagine her sugary smell intoxicating him and her melodic voice whispering words of love into his ear.

The screeching honk from the car sent shivers down his spine. Ringo jumped out of his skin. He looked up at the shiny car. The machine was only centimeters from hitting him.

"Get out of the way, Fool!" the man yelled.

Ringo ran towards the other side of the street. He couldn't recall when he had crossed the street. His feet already knew the way. It allowed him to dream about his love. The only problem was if he wasn't focused, a car would get him off his feet.

Ringo forced a smile as he saw the old townhouse. He was glad to see the family's car gone. He was hoping that only her parents had gone out rather than her. He needed her. She couldn't be gone now. She was too critical for his survival. She was his oxygen.

Ringo jumped over the short fence and dashed to the door. His knuckles rapped against the splintered door. He swayed on the balls of his feet as he waited for a reply. He peeked into the living room window in search of her. Ringo knocked louder. He didn't know how much longer he could wait for a response.

The lady shook her hips to the music. She was unaware of the knock on her door. It wasn't until the song ended that she heard somebody call for her. She put the laundry down and descended down the stairs. She peeked through the window and smiled. She recognized the broad back of her man.

"Ringo? What are you doing here?" He could hear the excitement in her voice. He always knew how much she loved his surprise visits especially if her parents weren't around. Unfortunately, whatever she was already imagining wasn't going to happen.

Ringo turned around. His eyes flooded with tears when he saw her. She was the love of his life. If there was anything he needed for the rest of his life, it was her. He didn't know what he would do if she ever walked out of his life. He didn't know how she would fair once he had to leave with the possibility of not returning. If he didn't come back, he knew he would look over her wherever he happened to be.

Her smile faded away, and her eyes searched his face. She didn't understand why he looked so upset.

"Richard?" she whimpered. Her frightful call made him fall into her arms. His arms wrapped around her back. His head rested against her bosom. She was taken aback but didn't hesitate to console him. Her feminine hands warmed his body. Her breath against his messy hair comforted his state of mind. His arms were tight around her as she led him inside. They sat down together on the couch. He didn't dare peel himself away from her. He wanted to spend his last hours holding her tight. So when he was being shot at, he could find warmth in the memories of her sweet smell and gentle touch. "My love, can you tell me what's wrong?" she whispered.

"I...I don't want to," he cried. She forced a smile as her eyes watered. She was scared.

"Take your time," she said. She kissed his head as she stroked his back.