Chapter 14

"Maeve!" I almost didn't acknowledge the voice until I recognized that deep tone. Caspian jogged his way next to me as I sprinted around the campus. I was really starting to get out of shape from all the food I've been eating here.

I felt my heart in my throat as I looked at his molten eyes and smirk. I haven't talked to him since he practically friend-zoned me in his dorm room.

"Hey," I smiled back, although I know it wasn't as bright as my usual smiles to him.

"I've been looking everywhere for you. I haven't seen you since last night. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for the way that I acted, I didn't want you to think-"

I waved my hand, not wanting to hear him embarrass me again. "Don't worry about it. We were both drunk and just having fun. Friends again?"

He gave me an unreadable expression before he hid it with a smile. "Friends. So, who's chasing us?" He asked, looking around as if he just now realized we were full-on running at this point.

I laughed. "I need to work out more. My ass is about to have its own zip code at this point. Not to mention, it's all I ever hear about from the guys in the hallways." I frowned at the memory of all the whispers that have been following me around since I got here. 

Caspian glared around us as if he was looking for the offender. "Who the hell said that?"

I shrugged. "Just some guys. It's not a big deal," I said, looking over at him.

Caspian clenched his jaw. "If anyone gives you a hard time, then you come to me."

I snorted. "I'm a big girl, Cas. I can take care of it myself."

"Oh, I have no doubt about it, shortcake. I'd just like to be the one to do it."

I grinned. "Fine, deal." I slowed my pace to a walk as I let myself catch my breath.

"You wanna have a movie night tonight?"

I started to say yes before I remembered what Harley and I witnessed earlier today. "Actually, I'm thinking of breaking into the library tonight."

Caspian looked at me as if I had just turned into one of those dick nose trolls. "Who breaks into the library?"

I rolled my eyes. "Someone who wants to go into the restricted section."

He raised his eyebrows in interest. "And what are we looking for in this restricted section?"

I chewed on my lip before exhaling. "Something to do with what's going on in the woods."

Caspian's back straightened. "Are you sure that's such a good idea?"

"Not at all, but something's going down tonight. Harley and I could feel it."

Caspian nodded. "I'll go with you in case you run into any trouble. There are magic wards all over that area."

I nodded my head. "Okay. But this stays between me and you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the fuck, Cas?!" I whispered-yelled as I saw both Caspian and Daxon standing at the spot behind the bleachers where I told him to meet.

Caspian blushed before looking over at Daxon. "I'm a shit liar. Plus, Daxon beat it out of me."

I looked him up and down, looking for any injuries. "I asked him what he was doing tonight and he said that you two were planning a secret heist," Daxon said with a smirk.